cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rye2d2
Adept I

Unable to update Radeon software after March 2020 Windows 10 update

I'm on Windows 10 Pro, version 1909, Build: 18363.720.

System is Ryzen 2600, with MSI RX 470 GPU

Currently I have Radeon software 20.2.2.

When trying to update to the latest Radeon drivers (either through Radeon check for updates or full download from AMD support page), my machine becomes bricked. Cannot get back to Windows - not even safe mode. I was able to go back to the previous restore point to get back and running again.

Repeated this with running DDU first to clean up existing drivers, same problem. Got a lovely error dialog when starting up:
No adl load
"xwz"

Then trying to install the full drivers I downloaded, that fails with error 1603 and my OS is bricked again until I recover the good restore point.

So I appear to be unable to update no matter what I do

WARNING to everyone: make sure you've got a good restore point saved before installing the latest software!!

2 Replies

This AMD official explanation and troubleshooting tips to fix error 1603: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb1603 

rye2d2
Adept I

So none of that worked. I was able to run the DISM & SFC commands, found corrupted system files, repaired, and verified them. Thought all was good, but the Radeon installer still failed. Also tried Windows Reset, but that failed too!

Ended up re-installing Windows in place, which finally did the trick.