Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Peter_Mann
Adept I

RX6800X Install over Vega64

Hi,

Longtime ATI/AMD user here.

This might be common knowledge but not to myself. I am running a Vega 64 on Adrenaline 22.5.1.

Is it possible to drop in my new RX 6800X without a driver uninstall, start up, then update Adrenaline to the latest (22.6.1) This to avoiding the tedious uninstall drivers, install card, restart, install drivers routine?

My thinking is that Adrenaline might recognize the card right off.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

0 Likes
2 Solutions

If I'm understanding the commenter's post, I'll try to explain. Or at least how I understand it. *ahem*

You should be able to plug and play your new 6800 XT since they're both on the same driver listing, but you shouldn't do it. You should do a clean, fresh install using DDU to make sure everything is optimized correctly with the new GPU.

And if that's what the commenter is eluding to, I also agree that's what you should do. Congratulations on your new card. Should be a fun time.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

View solution in original post

Jusy a follow-up:

I did an uninstall of my AMD drivers in safe mode, then a fresh install as per the previous suggestion.

Everything runs great.

Thanks all.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

If its possible? Yeah it should be.

But should you do it? No!

The Vega has probably reached the top of optimizations and the 6800 still has a lot to offer with recent software/drivers.

The Englishman
0 Likes

I don't understand your comment.

Why do you say I shouldn't do it?

I bought an RX6800XT to get higher frame rates than my Vega 64. My monitor is a 3440x1440 ultrawide so I can use the extra horsepower. If I ran a lower resolution the Vega is pretty decent.

0 Likes

The latest driver/software releases have tons of optimizations for your 6800 and not for your Vega, get the new Adrenalin

The Englishman
0 Likes

I am wondering if you actually read my original post where I said I have Adrenalin 22.5.1 installed....running the Vega 64.

My question is... am I likely to have problems just installing the 6800XT as Adrenalin 22.5.1 is already installed in Windows 10.

0 Likes

I am wondering if you actually understood my first post.

Because its really plain simple.

The Englishman
0 Likes

"If its possible? Yeah it should be.

But should you do it? No!"

Ok, so why shouldn't I do it ?

0 Likes

If I'm understanding the commenter's post, I'll try to explain. Or at least how I understand it. *ahem*

You should be able to plug and play your new 6800 XT since they're both on the same driver listing, but you shouldn't do it. You should do a clean, fresh install using DDU to make sure everything is optimized correctly with the new GPU.

And if that's what the commenter is eluding to, I also agree that's what you should do. Congratulations on your new card. Should be a fun time.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

GreatnessRD

Thank you for a clear answer. I appreciate you taking the time to dissuade me from taking the easier but more risky route. I will will do a fresh driver install as per your recommendation.

Thanks.

Jusy a follow-up:

I did an uninstall of my AMD drivers in safe mode, then a fresh install as per the previous suggestion.

Everything runs great.

Thanks all.

Glad everything is up and running well!

Thank you @GreatnessRD 

@Peter_Mann I tried a long story short and then I gave you the "why", This is as simple as it gets.

I'm sorry, but its the best course of action and I'll even advice you to use DDU to make sure its a clean process.

@johnnyenglish wrote:

The latest driver/software releases have tons of optimizations for your 6800 and not for your Vega, get the new Adrenalin

The Englishman
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

If its possible? Yeah it should be.

But should you do it? No!

The Vega has probably reached the top of optimizations and the 6800 still has a lot to offer with recent software/drivers.

The Englishman
0 Likes