cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

vixtron
Journeyman III

RX580 Pulse 8GB Minecraft issues

Experiencing horrible fps issues after upgrading from a 2GB GTX950 2GD5 OC to a Sapphire RX580 Pulse 8GB

Where my fps goes 400/18-40-100 randomly, the second value is the average fps, which was completely stable with my GTX950 and stayed above 100 and the value didn't change or drop that often and fast, with the new gpu it can be felt as stuttering.

CPU:  i5 4460 3.20GHz

MOBO: H81M-K 1150 Socket

RAM: 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz

Here are the fps examples, 700 shows the 1.8.9 performance which is perfectly well, the lowest is the vsync cap, and 400/44 is the uncapped 1.13.2 performance without vsync.

0 Likes
12 Replies
vixtron
Journeyman III

Noticed, Minecraft java tends to use up to 50% of GPU in task manager without shaders or mods, just optifine.

0 Likes

which driver version are you using? 19.5.2 is the latest release

0 Likes

That exact one

0 Likes

You seemed to have an old version of Minecraft. The latest version 1.14.1 (05/13/2019):https://mcversions.net/

This Mojang that has the latest version to download: Mojang 

0 Likes

Not really, everything post 1.12.2 is a whole different game, also to fix this I had to disable all animations in my game.

0 Likes

Have you tried to optimize Minecraft in Radeon Settings Game Profile?

Here is how to do it: How to Configure AMD Radeon™ Settings to Get an Optimal Gaming Experience | AMD 

0 Likes
qwixt
Forerunner

After googling this a bit, it seems like the jvm arguments are helpful for determining the issue. Two others things mentioned, don't install to drive on the cloud like OneDrive, and turn off mipmapping. Use F3 to get screenshot or debugging info when drop occurs.

My first thought when reading about this is that since it's java, I was curious if GC (garbage collection) was happening. minecraftforum.net will probably be a better resource for configuring the best JVM args.

0 Likes

-Xmx2G -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:G1NewSizePercent=20 -XX:G1ReservePercent=20 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=50 -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=32M
0 Likes

I thought you were on 1.13.x. I did read that 1.14 has FPS drop issues.

Either way, I found this JVM args from reddit post. It basically tries to optimize GC.

-XX:+UseG1GC -Xmx4G -Xms4G -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=2147483646 
-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:G1NewSizePercent=20
-XX:G1ReservePercent=20 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=50 -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=32M

0 Likes

I have read conflicting information about the 4G argument, and you might try dropping it to 2G. One guy says don't go over 2G and the guy that wrote the above said minecraft eats memory so use 4G. Also, the 4G guy was talking about modded minecraft.

0 Likes

FYI: Found this data about Minecraft :

Is Minecraft more CPU or GPU intensive?
Unlike most games, Minecraft is more dependent on your CPU than your GPU. That means that the power of your CPU has a greatest impact on your computer's performance, and your CPU will often be the component limiting your FPS. ... Also, adding shader mods will significantly increase the graphical demand on your GPU.
NOTE: This Thread at Reddit suggests that drop in FPS is due to the game accessing RAM: https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/5cnyi7/what_gives_better_fps_in_minecraft_gpu_or_cpu/ 

0 Likes

Sorry having problems posting on this last comment:

0 Likes