cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

garadir
Adept I

RX570 cannot handle video editing in full screen

4 weeks ago on my old 2Gb Nvidia GT730 and 16Gb RAM on a 19" monitor I could do what I do a lot - edit video - and do it in full screen .... Now, having put this MSI RX570 Armor graphics card in I can't.  I can only edit in a window no bigger than 30% of full screen or I get flicker and what looks like memory leakage. Any ideas?

I have a Ryzen 3 1200 system:

It's an ASUS motherboard but can't remember the model - (not been changed).

32Gb-PC3000 DDR4 (Corsair) RAM (just upgraded from HyperX 16Gb but experienced the issue on that too)

AMD/MSI 8Gb DDR5 RX570 Armor graphics (3x Display Port, 1 HDMI)

750W PSU (Upgraded from 600W)

Accumulative 5TB HDD (2 x 2TB SATA, 1 x 1TB SATA)

2 Dell SE2417HGX both on DP to HDMI at 75Hz (have tested 60Hz)

Radeon Software Version - 20.2.2

NO overclocking set, system defaults only across all components.

I've updated the system as it was deliberately missing Windows updates - now up-to-date

I've checked the drivers, (believed I'd rolled back the drivers but looking at the driver version above not so sure (wondering if a forced driver update has installed))

changed from gaming drivers to pro drivers (I don't do gaming, it's vid/photo editing, CAD and music creation so no hardship apart from the gaming dashboard is better beyond comparison as the pro software doesn't allow you to adjust a setting in it.  Sure there's some logic in there somewhere?)

As I was upgrading a spare PC too and had the DDR4 to check I've checked 3 sets of RAM of different speeds.

Turned OFF overclocking on the RAM to default so motherboard is not overclocked on any system.

To resolve overclocking issues on the 16Gb before upgrade and to try and resolve this the BIOS was flashed last week.

I've also tried different applications as I have 3 editing suites, same result on all.  I can playback/preview in 30% window but cannot do full screen at all.  Any ideas? 

I'm Regretting ever touching this card so far, the only thing it has improved is performance in Daz Studio which i do more of than the video editing.  If I can't sort this soon I'm going to have to switch back to NVidia.  For what I actually do, I didn't need to update anything, but so far I've pretty much built a new PC for this graphics card that after all that I can't use, literally wasted hundreds.  Very poor from AMD ....

0 Likes
11 Replies
garadir
Adept I

I should also add, watching movie is VLC or GOM player on full screen works fine and the "leakage" stops if i revert back to to the 30% windowed mode or if the edited film is paused.  The video editors use floating windows, so will test disabling aero-peek, but seriously surprised and disappointed if this card can't handle that.

0 Likes

Does the same thing occur when you have only one monitor connected directly to HDMI from the GPU HDMI Video output without the DP>HDMI adapter?

Trying to rule out Adapter issues and Multi-Monitor issues.

0 Likes

Sorry Elstaci - bad terminology from me, frustration getting the better of me - it's the Dell style DisplayLink ports not actual DP ports that require an adaptor.  There is no adaptor, just the DisplayLink to HDMI cable as the connections are compatible with the correct cable.

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

Have a look at this video and check if after effects is using your GPU for the preview.

How To Enable AMD GPU in After Effects | Cuda 5.0 Error - YouTube 

0 Likes

Many thanks for the reply Fyrel.

I've watched the video, i'll check through my apps and see if this can be applied to others as I'm not using After Effects.

For video editing: I use a combo (used to be able to run all 3 at once but not even tried more than at a time now) Magix movie maker Premium, Hitfilm Express and VSDC Free for video editing.  <- I had already accidentally applied half of the AE fix to Magix MM as it turns out will post an update on if there's any luck ...

For photo editing: PS CS5 ( <- just checked, recognizes card correctly in preferences), and GIMP

3D modeling/rendering: Daz Studio 4.12 (normally 3DL, but gradually changing to iRay and also I do some Reality), object modeling in Cinema 4D <-these are working fine

0 Likes

No, no luck and the application profile makes no difference.  The only thing I seem to be able to change by tweaking app settings is whether it's just unusably annoying or geniunely triggering feelings of nausea.  Which given I do not suffer any photo-sensitive disorders that's impressive.  It may not be usable as a graphics card but if I ever change career and need something to torture people .....

0 Likes
garadir
Adept I

So further testing done ... more needed.  Launching programs in different orders I have found that if I use Hitfilm Express from a restart it works fine. 

But the full screen handling gets corrupted from Magix and whatever code it used looks like it can't be cleared and all my editors which floating detachable windows then suffer this effect until then next restart.  All other full screen apps remain usable as advised before.  Weird... Going to re-install/repair Magix MM see what else I can find.  

And many thanks for the suggestions so far

0 Likes
garadir
Adept I

I've fixed it.  The timing was more by accident but fixed anyway.  The DirectX config appears to have got corrupted along the way even though dxdiag reported no errors..  I installed the DirectX SDK in attempt to get a full screen graphic test and and a few optional tweak apps for the motherboard and GPU to perform tests and the result is that it's fixed it. 

I also ran the MSI Afterburner tweaker and MSI Kombustor.  They found no errors and tweaked the system so I re-installed the latest Radeon drivers from earlier downgrade .... 5 restarts later its all working.  Yay  ....

Thanks for the help. 

williamthompson
Journeyman III

Experiencing frustrating limitations with my newly installed MSI RX570 Armor graphics card – previously, I could smoothly edit videos in full screen on my older Nvidia GT730. Now, with the RX570, I'm restricted to a small window due to flickering and potential memory leakage. Running a Ryzen 3 1200 system with 32GB RAM, an ASUS motherboard, and a 750W PSU, I've exhausted troubleshooting options – from driver updates to BIOS flashes. Even after switching from gaming to pro drivers, the issue persists across various editing applications. Considering reverting to Nvidia if a solution isn't found soon, as the RX570 has yet to prove its worth for my specific tasks. Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I'm also using Remini for PC, and the problem persists even with this software.

0 Likes
minniescalf
Journeyman III

Facing a frustrating setback, my video editing experience took a hit after upgrading to the MSI RX570 Armor graphics card. Despite smoothly editing on my old 2GB Nvidia GT730 with a 16GB RAM setup, the RX570 struggles with full-screen editing, displaying flicker and potential memory leakage issues. Running on a Ryzen 3 1200 system with an ASUS motherboard, 32GB Corsair RAM, and a 750W PSU, I've exhausted various troubleshooting steps—updating drivers, testing different RAM sets, and even flashing the BIOS. Disheartened by the lack of improvement, I'm contemplating a switch back to Nvidia, regretting the substantial investment made in the RX570. Any insights or solutions would be greatly appreciated. On a side note, while dealing with these technical challenges, I found solace in using Remini for PC, a handy tool for enhancing and revitalizing images, offering a brief respite from my graphics card woes.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

You seem brave, editing on a Ryzen 3 1200.

Its not the card, I edited lots videos (DaVinci Resolve) of 10,20,30min with 10 to 20gb full of GPU effects on a RX480 flawlessly. Had a 2700X and 16Gb of ram. 

Try older WHQL drivers or PRO drivers if available.

Don't forget to use DDU, especially since you had a nvidia before.

The Englishman
0 Likes