cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

entranced
Adept II

Re: Rx480 random black screen while gaming

Opened countless, I do not have the time to continue "knocking on the same thing", over and over.

About Crysis 3, do you have any RX to test? This might be only RX 400/500 problem related...

EDIT: It seems the latest driver 18.7.1 made things worse, now it crashes and after a while the image on the monitor freezes and I get a "snow" effect for some seconds and the computer reboots itself alone, I eventually did 2 videos, not with relive because of the crashes, but I thought that medium settings on Crysis 3 were ok, only to find out that firing the gun made the game crash....

When I have time I will try the driver that came with my GPU.

0 Kudos
entranced
Adept II

Here are the videos:

Crysis 3 crash 1 - YouTube

Crysis 3 crash 2 - YouTube

EDIT: Tried underclocking, overclocking, undervolting, overvolting, power limit target to 50% and nothing, if this ends up really not being a driver related issue I will RMA or return the card

colesdav
MVP

Hi,

I do not own the RX 480 cards when they were launched > 2 years ago.
I decided to purchase  higher performance  R9 Nanos/R9 FuryX.
I did not buy RX580 because they are essentially a rebranded RX480 with a higher power burn (almost as high as a GTX1080) to catch up with the GTX1060 6GB.
I could get use of one for testing but I think you would be better to ask someone with similar CPU to yours to see if they get crash on Crysis 3.
I will explain why I suggest similar CPU to yours in a few minutes. Saving this post now.
Bye.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

OK ... I watched your videos - that's pretty annoying.
I have been getting a similar error to that when running BF1 over the past few days. Different PC and clean fresh update and check Windows 10 64bit but with fresh DDU and install of the the Adrenalin 18.7.1 driver.

The system specs in that case were i7-4790K, R9 Fury X Primary, R9 Nano Secondary. 32GB Ram, ASUS Z97 Deluxe motherboard.
I was pushing the cards and system hard as I was running BF1 at 4K Ultra settings. The ambient room temp has been ~ 35-36'C in heatwave here.
Also both the CPU and GPU's are running Overclocked.

Videos here showing BF1 running well and showing good scaling in DX12 multiGPU:
BF1 run at 4K Ultra settings with R9 FuryX and R9 Nano in DX12 MultiGPU. - YouTube

BF1 run at 4K Ultra settings with single R9 FuryX DX12. - YouTube

However the game and Adrenalin Driver randomly crashes.

Here are some of the errors/ crashes I have seen over the past few days running BF1. These are only the ones I bothered to / could take screenshots of. also happened at 1080p with single card in BF1 in Ultra.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.pngpastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

pastedImage_6.pngpastedImage_7.png

Again I was overclocking the CPU in all cases and sometimes the GPU. Room temp has been high 35-36'c.
Not bothered using an AMD Reporting form yet.

Bye.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Hi entranced

RE: I will explain why I suggest similar CPU to yours in a few minutes.

I remember, years ago, people with AMD CPU having problems with a version of  Crysis to launch / run with AMD CPU.
I do not think it was Crysis 3 but an earlier version.
You might want to look that up on Google to see if you can find anything.
I note your specs below just in case I get time to look into that later.
Bye.

Your Specs -

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.2Ghz

GPU: AMD ASUS EXPEDITION RX 570 4GB OC

RAM: 16GB G.SKILL TridentX 2400mhz DDR3

Motherboard: Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer

Power Supply: Enermax REVOLUTION87+ 850W

Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2494HS

0 Kudos
entranced
Adept II

colesdav Every single game or benchmark on the GPU crashes, and before the RX 570 I have now I played every Crysis title with one R9 280X with this CPU, the FX 8350, so I don't think it is a problem with the CPU.... But, I will search, thanks.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Hi,
OK - unlikely to be the CPU then if you were running with an R9 280x.
The power requirement for the RX 570 should be lower than that required for an R9 280x, so this would tend to indicate it is not your PSU.
Bye.

entranced
Adept II

This is me right now:

IMG_20180727_160818.jpg

I did swap again power cables, PCI-E slot, and testing over HDMI instead of DVI-D (I know changing too much factors, but the things is 3DMark has already crashed, and I didn't even tried Crysis 3), GTA V is benchmarking 30 times and going, Unigine Superposition does take sometime to crash, and only happened once and was a hard lockup(was not today and did not test today yet).... I'm getting out of ideas, this night was of stress testing everything besides the GPU and all is stable.... And now GTA V is going without crashing, and I just have the feeling that either way, in the first PCI-E slot, other power cables and DVI-D would give me the same results... 😕 I will obviously test again after this change

entranced
Adept II

Ok... It crashed... As I said before, gonna see with the driver that came with the graphics card and if it continues RMA or return it, sadly.

EDIT: the crash was a black screen with the sound in a loop, needed to force the computer to shutdown

0 Kudos
entranced
Adept II

My Graphics Card might really be defective, again, for my great luck that I have... But, I believe that you should report that to AMD, they need to know and to fix.

What doesn't help me is not having more hardware to try and see, I don't really have a friend or someone available to do that, so I'm just stuck with my guesses, I can't believe it is my Motherboard or the PSU, but with 3 cards going bad (R9 280X, RX 570, RX 570) im getting crazy and thinking of possible everything going wrong here. My R9 280X did work for 4 years, but im at a loss.

With BF1, it happens only with that game? After the driver update? Consistent or random?

I know that the thread as become kinda confusing, but people with the black screen, how and what makes it happen?

EDIT: I will still test Black Flag just to see what happens

0 Kudos