cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Balalcap
Journeyman III

RX 6800 random black screen no signal VGA LED on.

I've been with random black screens from day one now 2 years ago. So the weird think is that only happens randomly when I'm in a videogame menu or youtube but never crashes wile playing. When crashes the monitor has no signal and the VGA LED on the moderboard turns on. I have everithing updated (bios, card drivers, windows, etc). It doesn't make sense to me. It sems like a graphics card problem but not sure 100% and don't know how to fix it.
My PC built: AMD MSI RX 6800 XT, Ryzen 5 5600x, TX 750W, MB TUF B550-PLUS, 2x16gb RAM T-Force.

May be someone had the same problem. Hope someone have any idea of whats going on.
Thank you.

0 Likes
2 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi,

I think you have two takes on this.

If you lived for two years with a crash everyday, or multiple crashes in a week. I believe you waited too long.
When such occurs, you need to start troubleshooting so you can accurately know what's going on. After that, take action. (That means RMA)

The other take is: Computers do fail, sometimes randomly. I had crashes, black screens, strange reboots from graphics card, ram, nvme and even from the ALL Mighty Armoury Crate software (I laughed hard has I was writing this) that forced me to uninstall every bit and part from RoG (including graphics card) just to get it working again. Don't forget, Windows is also a strange creature too.

johnnyenglish_0-1669071905115.png

If all you have is a crash here and there between a month or several apart, then its pretty much normal.

You can start by doing a re seat of the card if you really suspect it, don't daisy chain aux power cables, have two separate. Try DDU, try WHQL drivers and try it on another system if you have the chance.

Then go after the ram as it is one of the most frequent offenders, not all of us have the luck of owning ECC memory. Be sure the ram is in the QVL of the board too. Try lowering the speed to default, try memtest and try a stick of ram each time.

My worst offender was the ram, guess that 2700X IMC can get upset with high speed ram profiles.
Had to go from 16-18-18-36 1.35v to 16-18-18-42 1.3v to get a more peaceful life.

Really, do some troubleshooting while there's warranty left.

Good Luck!

The Englishman
0 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I have tried almost everything possible in terms of software. However I don't have a extra GPU, CPU, RAM, PSU or MB. So I can't troubleshoot if is any hardware problem. The GPU is still on guaranty so may be I'll send it back.

Thanks

0 Likes