Did you mean: 

Graphics

ezzah
Adept I

RX 6700XT stuttering in all tested games

My specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5800X (stock)

CPU Cooler: NZXT X73

RAM: 32GB (3200MHz) DDR4 CL16 (DOCP enabled)

Motherboard: Asus ROG X570-E

GPU: PowerColor 6700XT 

Drives: Samsung 970 Evo (NVMe), Samsung 860 EVO (SSD), Silicon Power NVMe

PSU: be quiet! 750W Straight Power 11 80+ Platinum

Monitors: Samsung Odyssey G7 1440p, Gigabyte G27QC 1440p, TN 1080p

Symptoms:

I have tested the following games: Overwatch, CSGO, Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, Call of Duty Warzone. 

In all of them, to varying degrees, there were small stuttering problems. In high fps games like CSGO, I also observed very high fps variance (jumping between 200 to 700 fps) where I did not experience such large differentials on my old RX480 GPU. The stuttering feels like frame skipping; sometimes the audio will also stutter along with the visual stutter. 

I also observed that with LatencyMon, during games, the stuttering would coincide with DPC latency spikes on Dxgkrnl.sys; not sure if that is related. 

What I have attempted to do / verify:

1. I have tried using DDU and then installing 21.5.2 and current WHQL 21.4.1 to no avail
  2. I have reinstalled Windows completely and tried playing above games with only drivers installed, AMD Chipset and GPU drivers, (no other applications) with latest windows updates
  3. BIOS on motherboard has been tried both on beta and stable (Asus X570-E)
  4. Tried installing the GPU drivers in Driver Only mode (this made the stutters a little less frequent I think but still persisted) 
  5. Running two separate 8 pin cables to the PSU instead of a shared one
  6. Tried locking the fps to lower values (like 200 on CSGO) but it would still stutter below. Even if I set it to 60fps it would still stutter below 60fps.
  7. Tried setting minimum core clock slider for game profiles but no difference on stutters
  8. GPU and CPU temps seem nominal: hovering around 50-70C for both of them
  9. I did not experience these stutters on my old RX480. Only difference since acquiring the 6700XT is two extra monitors. Disconnecting both, leaving only one, didn't seem to resolve the issue.
  10. Disabled all extra options in AMD Radeon (e.g. anti-lag, etc)
0 Likes
9 Replies
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: RX 6700XT stuttering in all tested games

Have you checked Windows Display properties to verify that you are running the correct refresh rate for your display? I would also just keep one display connected for now so you can try to narrow down the cause of the stutter. 

Can you enter the Motherboard BIOS and reset everything to optimized default settings to see if that helps?

Have you checked CPU and GPU temps to ensure nothing is overheating? 

Another thing you could try would be to disconnect as much stuff from your system as possible to see if you have a device, such as aUSB device or soundcard etc that might be causing some strange issue that shows as stuttering. 

A picture of the inside of your case would be helpful. 

0 Likes
ezzah
Adept I

Yes, my main display is running at 240Hz both on the monitor OSD itself and also within Windows Display properties.  The stutter observed is different from regular screen tear if running below the refresh rate of the monitor and the stutters occurred on high fps games like Overwatch and CSGO where it would almost never dip below 240.

I will try a BIOS setting reset and see how it goes. All the settings are default except for enabling DOCP on the RAM and also enabling SVM (for virtualisation) and SAM (since I have an AMD 5000 series CPU).

CPU does not go over 60C whilst in game and GPU does not go over 70C.

The only devices connected to the computer are: monitor, keyboard, mouse, headphones (3.5mm audio), built-in wifi to motherboard

Picture of inside case: https://dl3.pushbulletusercontent.com/gBiTp492QXidEcrj2TcmJYLAHwsTKlCD/IMG_20210608_190251.jpg

0 Likes
ezzah
Adept I

I would like to add that preliminary testing in some games (CSGO and Overwatch) by disconnecting all displays except primary has stopped the stutters. LatencyMon also verifies that there are no spikes anymore. This leads me to believe that it is some Windows issue or related to the driver when multiple screens are connected.

There is still the small issue in CSGO specifically where I get very wide variance in fps, but the stutter itself seems to be resolved. Thanks for making that suggestion, I thought I had tried that before but it seems to have worked so far.

Pedrito0906
Adept III

Verify you don't have AMD Freesync enable, the drivers need to be fixed. Also verify that you're running in Full Screen mode and not Windowed or Fullscreen Windowed mode.

I'm also having stuttering on my 6900xt, I use Rivatunner and put the Scanline around -30 to -60 to help with the stuttering.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Very nice looking build, need to hide those cables at the bottom though.

If running all displays, check that you have each one running at the correct refresh rate in Windows Display Properties.

If you have a browser open and running in the background, or discord when the stuttering occurs try disabling or shutting them down first. If that resolves the stuttering, try disabling hardware acceleration in the browser and discord to see if it helps. 

ezzah
Adept I

My cable management isn't the best haha though this case has little clearance for cables that come under the motherboard so it's a bit difficult.

I have checked all displays and they are running at their correct frame rates listed in their OSDs and within Windows. 

I will try turning off hardware acceleration to see how that goes on chrome/discord as well.

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes some cases are better than others for it to be fair. Using a Phanteks P600S here and it has the best cable management I've ever seen in a case. Really allows for a clean build.
0 Likes
ezzah
Adept I

Phanteks makes great cases, I have the P500A. Never had a case come with a plastic box of screws instead of general plastic bags

hitbm47
Miniboss

Hi, someone else is also experiencing this issue here: https://community.amd.com/t5/discussions/rx-6700-xt-lag-up-180-fps/td-p/476100/highlight/false

Looks like a very similar build.

Kind regards

0 Likes