cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

MrPlayerYork
Journeyman III

running hot on idle [GPU]

What's up peeps, so recently I got myself a drawing tablet. I plugged it in and everything is great. But when I disconnected from the connector hub (HDMI, power, and USB-A), I noticed that the GPU temps were starting to rise. I did some testing and for whatever reason, if nothing is plugged into the card and the card is powered, the temp begins to rise.

Something plugged in:
temps @ idle are ~35-40

Nothing plugged in:

temps @ idle are ~75-81

This has never happened before, I never had any reason for the card until recently but it was powered and running without issue.

My card is a AMD Radeon R9 280x (no overclocking)

(edit:)
Nothing is using the card when it's not plugged in.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Chester1994
Challenger

Might be related to the 0 RPM feature. Create a custom fan curve and see if it fixes your issue. I had a similar problem and posted it some days ago. Then I fixed it and shared it here:

https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/rx-580-only-spins-fans-while-using-custom-fan-profi...

I guess I'm confused because I don't see that option. Can you clarify?temp.png

0 Likes

Click on "Fan control (%)" to your lower right. It should change from "Auto" to manual or something like that. A fan curve editor should show up.

BTW, when was the last time you changed thermal pads and paste to this GPU?

0 Likes

I've never done that. Man it must be really dry cause its a very old card.

0 Likes

Every thing that gentlan said. New paste will drop that idle temp 20 degrees, My 390x this happened on its 3 rd year of life. Drove me nuts. Until I was installing a closed loop on cpu and since it was torn down anyway, and I had it on hand... went ahead spent 15 minutes to put the arctic silver on the gpu as sell... Litterally 20 degree difference . In game at load its max temp was like 71c...  Was almost like XFX didnt put **bleep** on that die.

Ryzen 5 3600 &--Crucial Ballistix 16GB--GTX 1080ti
0 Likes