cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

radeoforce
Adept I

Low performance RX Vega64 In Horizon Zero Dawn

Why in Horizon Zero Dawn RX Vega64 has performance level like Polaris?
Horizon Zero Dawn im Benchmark-Test: GPU-Benchmarks, Frametimes und ein Treibervergleich - ComputerB... 
https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/horizon-zero-dawn-test-gpu-cpu 

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Horizon-Zero-Dawn-Spiel-55719/Tests/Horizon-Zero-Dawn-PC-Test-Review-... 

i understand, GCN 1.4 isn't actually generateon of gpu, but Polaris is GCN 1.3, and it has optimal performance! 

https://ibb.co/LRSQTVc
https://ibb.co/CvCFmy7
https://ibb.co/Vjwbd8F

36 Replies
pokester
MVP

Re: Low performance RX Vega64 In Horizon Zero Dawn

While both are GCN they are also different in architecture. I certainly get your point though and would expect Vega to be faster too. That being said it could be that an optimization as often happens in the driver is not being applied to Vega as it is to Polaris. That may be intentional or due to architectural differences it makes one unstable verse the other. Or it is simply an oversight and maybe if you report it to AMD, they will get it fixed in an upcoming driver.

Next is the possibility it is not the driver at all and is the games detection of your card not optimizing correctly. 

Your best bet would be to report it to the Game Developer and to AMD here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes
autouzi
Adept I

I also have abyssal performance and stuttering on a Vega 64.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

RX Vega 64 and 56 have low market share versus Polaris based RX480/580/590 and lower tier Polaris GPU.
Horizon Zero Dawn was originally produced for Playstation 4 which has a GCN1.1 based GPU.
So the game was not developed on a Polaris GPU.
Vega 56 and 64 should definitely be faster but it is probable all focus went on Polaris GPUs initially.

0 Likes
walkmanti
Adept I

This doesn't really make sense, look at death stranding and the performance scaling with amd gpu's. Developed on PS4, and using the decima engine (albeit a different version of it). There's something seriously wrong with HZD and Vega. 

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

I agree there is something wrong with Horizon Zero Dawn on Vega.
Total lack of effort from the drivers team for Vega is probably a reason.

The same thing that happened with Fiji GPU now seems to be happening to Vega w.r.t. driver performance improvements. 
Dropped like a hot brick. RX580 4GB beats R9 Fury X 4GB HBM in some games now which simply should not happen.

Did anyone file an AMD Reporting Form Online (I think it might be removed now - just be ignored since last time I checked I could not file report for latest driver) or use the Adrenalin 2020 Bug Reporting tool (if you are o.k. to let AMD trawl your System and Program Data?).

pokester
MVP

But wait it makes sense Vega is dead. Oh no I forgot it will be in next years upcoming APU's still too. 

colesdav
MVP

Yes, APU, good point.

Perhaps we are in the "death throes" of discrete GPU from AMD for Consumer market?
Maybe AMD forcus for Consumer will move to console APU type solutions once next XBOX and Playstation launch.
It would likely make sense for AMD next step = Ryzen CPU + Radeon GPU in one package from now on to take Nvidia GPU Consumer Market Share, if they could get Radeon Drivers and software sorted out.

I am more than annoyed about AMD lack of support for their older and current Discrete GPUs.
It is/was so bad that it makes buying any AMD GPU since 2017 a bad idea.
Look at recent history:

RX590 /Polaris - not even work properly on Blender GPU rendering.
Radeon 7 - EOL within 6 months and left for dead.
RX5700XT. Not supported on ROCm. Windows 10 drivers are just recently "stable" if you are prepared to mix and match Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI and 2020 20.8.1 drivers.

I still expect to see "Big Navi" launch before end of 2020, even if it will be a paper launch, and not make it for Thanksgiving/Christmas Market yet again.
I think AMD Supply Chain will simply drop MSRPs on existing RX5700XT Navi 10s to get rid of them, with more "Raise The Game"  Deals.

Looks like it is already happening in EU market.

I think there will be a Navi 10 refrest similar to R9 290X -> R9 390X with maybe "XT Silicon" similar to the Ryzen "3*00XT" stunt.
Maybe refreshed Navi 10 RX5700XT GPU will end up 1-2% faster and get its proper name back -  RX690 to replace Polaris RX590.
I really do not see why anyone with a Vega 64 Liquid  would even bother to look at the RX5700XT as an "upgrade", from what I have seen, it is a downgrade.    

pokester
MVP

Sorry but to me the only thing worse than what the drivers have been over the past few years with GPUs and to me really only has been the past few years. Is their APU's and worse APU's in conjunction with their discrete graphics. The only laptops on the market I won't buy are ones with AMD graphics and that is because their support has been abysmal at best. Generation after generation of the systems not working right. Can't load drivers, nothing using the discrete graphics then dropping support long before any other maker does. Nothing makes me sicker than to see the complaints of people that can't get their laptops working. Now we are seeing the complaints flooding in on the 4xxx APU's too. 

So me I hope that AMD's future isn't based on APU's as their past and current situation with them is pretty bad. 

Intel may not have great graphics built into their CPU's, and if any company had an excuse for not having good drivers they do as they don't even offer discrete graphics. Yet I have not had a driver not work on any laptop with their cpu's ever. 

I hold out hope for big navi but the fact that upcoming APU's will have Vega, doesn't give me much faith. Plus apparently AMD feels the same way if they are leaning in that direction for the future of GPU's/ 

I would actually have to bet that it is more software that hardware too. As next gen consoles are using what should be similar to our new APU's for PC. They however have the benefit of very proprietary hardware driver control. Likely Microsoft and Sony are doing much better with control of the AMD hardware than what AMD has been. 

I can' t think of a more logical explanation unless maybe their was some sort of non-compete with the AMD  APU's and consoles agreed upon? 

colesdav
MVP

Yes I agree that the AMD APU video drivers and APU + Discrete AMD GPU  have been a nightmare on laptops in the past.
Plenty of examples in the past, situations like mixing APU non GCN + GCN discrete on gaming laptop resulting in problems even installing drivers.
I was just thinking maybe AMD will focus effort on APU moving forward after these new consoles launch, and forget Discrete GPU for Consumers completely.

Funny that you comnplain about the APU drivers yourself after what happend to me yesterday.

I was in local PC store yesterday looking for a new laptop.
I have still not decided what laptop  to purchase - it has to have 1-2 Thunderbolt3 ports.
I looked at a new AMD Ryzen based laptop from HP which has built in Vega graphics but no Thunderbolt3, unfortunately.

Just out of interest I tried to launch Radeon Settings and an error message popped up saying that Adrenalin Settings did not match the GPU Driver Version.
I checked the driver version in control panel and it had an AMD Vega Driver installed dated December 2018.
Maybe  Microsoft  Automatic Driver update managed to kick in and install those old drivers or maybe it failed to install a newer Adrenalin 2020 based driver for APU.   
I just laughed and walked away.
Brand new HP Ryzen based laptop with broken Radeon Drivers out of the box, on display, in the store.
What a way to start.

0 Likes