cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Adept I
Adept I

Is R7 280X (3Gb) better than RX 480 (8Gb)?!!

Hi guys. I'm an enthusiast AMD. Since Am5x86. But now I'm just desperate. I had a system based on the AMD FX 4170, 990FX chipset, 16GB RAM (DDR3-1866) and graphics R7 280X(ASUS R9280X-DC2T-3GD5-V2). I use this computer for gaming, and it allowed me, in particular, play GTA5 on middle-high settings with 30-60fps (1680x1050) that was quite comfortable.

Recently I was thinking about upgrading. I was planning to replace CPU (and motherboard, respectively) on Ryzen. (Hand on heart, we must admit that from my side was a big mistake to replace Phenom II 945 on the FX 4170. It was necessary to change or to a six-core processor or not change at all, but what's done is done.) And I also decided to change their graphics card on the RX 480(Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 G1 Gaming 8G). Of course I did not expect that the performance of the system will grow (because of my CPU), but I was sure that it will remain at the same level. I was hoping for a better performance in the future, after the change of CPU and I was attracted to the smaller size and heat dissipation.

But what was my confusion when I got 15-30fps in GTA5 on low-middle settings that the game is automatically installed. What? How? Why? Is RX 480 is so dependent on the CPU or so bad with DX 11? Or it is a throttling?! What is it? Maybe it's marriage or the graphics card so it should be ?! What to do? Wait Ryzen or carry the card back to the seller? If I wait Ryzen what I do six months before it comes out ?!

P.S. My old R7 280x on a computer with a Phenom II  945, 16gb DDR3-1600 on the 970 chipset got 45-63fps(1600x900) in GTA5 on middle-high settigs (set automatically by game). What? I'm crying. I do not want to live in this horrible world.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Big Boss
Big Boss

Re: Is R7 280X (3Gb) better than RX 480 (8Gb)?!!

No. RX 480 is much faster.

Try to reinstall video driver.

Uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode by DDU program

Then install 16.11.5​ driver. Don't install 16.12.1 for now. It is unstable.

Esteemed Contributor III

Adept I
Adept I

Thanks, of course, but I know the numbers. And I can see the result. Beautiful numbers unfortunately are created for marketers. For example the new mobile Intel processors (not to the dinner will be said) to 10% slower than the previous generation of Intel(sorry again) mobile processors. And it is a fact.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Thanks for the advice. I originally deleted all AMD drivers (including motherboard drivers) and profiles before installing a new video card (аlways do so with new hardware). Will try to the driver that you recommend. On the results will write later.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

userbenchmark.com is created from people running benchmarks on their own systems, none of the manufacturers have any sway in it. As far as your Intel argument goes, if you're talking Skylake vs Broadwell, Skylake is 10% faster (Kaby Lake isn't well spread in the mobile market yet). So it's not just "beautiful numbers", it's actual results averaged over thousands of runs across thousands of systems, which in the case of the one listed above is 19,000 R9 280X and 10,000 RX 280 runs.

0 Kudos