cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

fanziq
Adept I
Adept I

Re: artifacts accompanied with driver crashing+freezing, is my gpu dying?

Did that as first thing when problems started. also replied to him about it yesterday but somehow it got stuck in mod approval mode.
I think last thing I can try is reinstalling OS after that I Really dont know what else.

0 Kudos
elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

Try contacting Sapphire Support and see what they recommend before reinstalling the OS.

If you believe the OS may be the problem, Run SFC /scannow to check for missing or corrupted core Windows files. It should come back with "No Integrity found"  or something similar.

Before Reinstalling the OS, make a SYSTEM BACKUP image first (separate hard drive). That way if the same problems continues after reinstalling the OS, you can always restore the original WIndows back to the way it was before. Saving yourself hours of reinstalling all your settings and apps.

You can always install the GPU card in another computer to see if the problem shifts over to the other computer. If it does, then it definitely has something to do with the GPU card.

pokester
Esteemed Contributor III

Okay then. So you are on High Performance too? Have you disabled all the MS Windows game settings like DVR? Disabled Fast Startup (Windows 10 only)?

Did this issue suddenly show up? One day it was fine then next it didn't? Did the issue accompany a driver change? Have you run DDU and reinstalled the driver clean? If you have not done that I absolutely would give that a try.

From there, if this persists we can try some different settings on fan and temperature controls but I would not go there until you have tried these other things.

If that doesn't do it then I am not sure. You may have a card problem.

Just reply back with the results as you go please. Hopefully you don't have to get a new card.

0 Kudos
fanziq
Adept I
Adept I

On High Performance, disabled even fast boot in bios.

It started suddenly (I dont play games that often) in Nioh as first game and from there it was in every game, I always uninstall with  DDU

I already tried temperature fixes found in other threads (max temperature and target temperature, setting one frequency at all levels, same with voltage, tried - power limit but I think that was even worse.)

0 Kudos
pokester
Esteemed Contributor III

There are definitely different fixes for the different cards. It seems the R9 series was hardest hit by driver changes for some reason. I found on my RX 580 that bringing the max temp down to 60 (the left yellow slider) and the right slider all the way down. Then changing the fan so it could run at max speed when needed fixed my issues that cause temperature instability. I don't even think it is as much temperature as much as changing the threshold where throttling starts that helped.

I really wish they could just release a version of the the drivers that void of wattman to work for all the people that are still having issues. Of course it is entirely possible in your case it could be hardware. It's just hard to believe knowing all the know problems with the drivers.

You might post a screen shot of your Radeon Settings. In the event it shows something someone can say hey change this?

0 Kudos
pokester
Esteemed Contributor III

I absolutely agree with everything you recommended. I would add that I have found it is very beneficial to have a spare hard drive on hand. And anytime I think an OS replacement is in order I test that to that drive. Then I can see if that fixes things without wiping out my installation. Just a idea, to me a drive is much cheaper than my time. I will also boot to Linux from a usb drive or DVD to see if components are working or not from there when troubleshooting.

fanziq
Adept I
Adept I

Ill try your tip. but its weird because even wattman crashes a lot whenever I play with frequencies or other stuff, thing that wasnt happening before.
edit: well it doesnt make any difference unfortunately.

0 Kudos
pokester
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't ever mess with frequencies or custom voltages. It crashes when I have tried too.

0 Kudos
fanziq
Adept I
Adept I

I did some testing and its crashing in 3dmark and Valley too, sometimes does 30 minutes np (Valley) but in 3dmark its crashing really quickly only like 1-2 minutes int otest
and when cleaning I noticed some weird stuff

contacts on one fans is somehow darker color than other one

3.jpg

4.jpg

And i Somehow feel that one fan is weaker, do they send the replacement fans for Europe too or is it just USA thing?

and the cooling pad or how its called has weird shape to it also some kind of metal sheet under it with same problem.0.png1.jpg

0 Kudos