cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Tazryder
Adept II

Re: 6900XT causing PC to reboot while gaming

I have a solution I have posted a detailed reply on a different site that you can probably get from my other posts but I dont wanna get flagged for spam so I removed it

but I will try and reexplain it in a textual format here, but its dependent on a particular error, check your eventlogs and look for any Dcom errors,

*** Verification Step - You Can Skip this, but it's better to make sure****

If you find them, clear the log and try and replicate the crash. Then check the log for another similar Dcom issue.

*** Verification Step - You Can Skip this, but it's better to make sure****

On Windows it's EventLog ---> Windows Logs ---> System 

Go to start ---> type "Component Services"

In Component Services in the left hand panel showing the Console Root tree

Click on the plus sign to expand the branch that says  "Component Services"

and click on the next plus sign beneath that says "Computers"

In the Middle panel/pane right click on "My Computer" to open up the Context Menu and select properties 

In the "My Computers Properties" Window, select the tab "Default Properties"

Unselect Enable Com Internet Services on this Computer

Unselect Enable Distributed Com Services on this computer

Click OK and  restart

PS: This does NOT disable your internet, DCOM and COM is part of an old archaic system, that is rarely used in a home computer environment.

If your in a server/client environment, check with your system administrator first to see if disabling this will affect any services or legacy services that you might connect to.

mackbolan777
Forerunner

You cannot disable DCOM in Windows 10 without altering the registry and I highly advise against it. DCOM is now used for IPC processes  and services, not the old DCOM/COM you're thinking of. In fact, start trying to disable DCOM, HTTP Auto Proxy and watch your system delete your user account and you lose the system quickly. Windows takes it as an "attack" and aggressively defends by using it's internal Admin accounts to lock you out from causing harm to the point it will effectively destroy itself trying to take ownership of the files and Registry keys. If you happen to succeed in just turning DCOM and HTTP Auto Proxy off, you handicap many required Windows services. 

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
Tazryder
Adept II

You can disable DCOM in windows 10..

3.png

Your wrong sir, I've had it disabled for a long time now and I'm running fine, Computers are actually quite smart now.

please check my response in detail, in no place did I state to enter the registry and I did mention to check whether you have an application that requires it. I use my PC for, development, gaming, office applications.

What on earth that's a strong aggressive reply. If I was a newb I'd be terrified to disable that now.

Where did your get that info from? " start trying to disable DCOM, HTTP Auto Proxy and watch your system delete your user account and you lose the system quickly. Windows takes it as an "attack" and " now if you perhaps own a data forensics company and need uber extreme logs or authentications or in a Windows Server /Client environment or perhaps need all of what you mention.

But I need to run my adobe products, like Photoshop and After Effects, I need to open my office products, like Word, I need to open development applications such as android studio and visual studio.

I don't need to connect to an active directory or windows AzureAD or perform any tasks that require Distributed com like

Happen to succeed? its a check box lol not an intensive system modification.  If your in dire need of it turn it back on.

A bit like a light switch sir, if it's too scary with it off, turn it back on.

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

I've been selling and repairing PC's for 20 some years and passed Microsoft's software/hardware certification way back. You need DCOM. Perhaps you got lucky disabling it, you think it runs "fine". I guarantee you it does not and that my unaltered Windows would run circles around yours. DCOM has many useless features for home users and therefore tosses tons of meaningless errors, but it runs "servers" or "services" that are part of the OS that are used. You do what you want or think is "ok", it's not, ask anyone in the PC business or better yet email Microsoft support.

Besides, only Pro has the options you refer to and if you succeeded, you made a mistake. Here's why most might want it:

Do I really need Distributed Com and Component Services Administrator - Microsoft Community

mackbolan777
Forerunner

More relevant: How to disable DCOM support in Windows (microsoft.com) and why not to do it. Most of us shouldn't.

0 Likes
Tazryder
Adept II

You've basically reinforced my suggestion with Windows posts, which is cool but

The windows statement also re-enforces my initial comment by mentioning this

Warning If you disable DCOM, may you may lose operating system functionality. After you disable support for DCOM, the following may result:

• Any COM objects that can be started remotely may not function correctly.

• The local COM+ snap-in will not be able to connect to remote servers to enumerate their COM+ catalogue.

• Certificate auto-enrollment may not function correctly.

• Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) queries against remote servers may not function correctly.

These features are REQUIRED at times by admins to provide diagnostic in a client/server environment hence I said "check with your administrator" if in that environment

Local Com+ snapins would mean most of the MMC aka Microsoft Management Consoles

Certificate autoenrollment is also a Windows Server Feature typically found in places that are connected to a Windows Server, hence client and server environment

WMIs typically used in a client and server, people running things like PRTG needing up to the minute real-time diagnostics.

Your reference to IPC processes and services https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/communication/interprocess-communication in this link makes references to Pipes and COM and so forth, Named Pipes or DB aka access to databases. If you cannot use the PIPE you can always access the DB via IP.

If your a home user, I cannot see why you are unable to disable DCOM.

Again COM objects, if your in a Server Environment but if you are running Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, Office 365, Android Studio, Visual, Studio maybe remote desktop or MSTSC into another machine. No issue. ah wait if you're developing a Com+ 3.1 application you may wish to buy an NVIDIA card

Anyways sorry if I offended your domain, I thought it was a simple gamers home issue, not an IT Engineers issue, on a client connected to a Wintel or AD Environment. sorry!

mackbolan777
Forerunner

There's no practical reason to disable DCOM, unless you're annoyed by the errors it tosses. Turning it off stops a lot of things from working the way they should, things like printer sharing, devices being enumerated and stored in the HKLM area so every time you plug something into a USB port, it just works. Microsoft changed the way DCOM works a long time ago. It's built into Windows 10 Home and no, one has no access to turn it off in that version without going the regedit path, that if you don't know what you're doing, it gets messy quickly. Half the stuff you need to take ownership of belongs to "SYSTEM"(you) and "Trusted Installer"
(bot), "Owner"(machine/Microsoft), so "newbs" as you call them will ruin the OS for nothing. DCOM has no link to crashes with GPU's or really anything.

Do you not think anyone here would not have said to turn that off or Windows themselves would ship the Home version without it, if it were an issue? Some of the Com+ snap-in's com in handy and if you installed the OS all the way and turn off that IPC path, you no longer can access some security related features on Pro. Remote snap-in also does not mean "remote" as in offsite. It can mean in a different part of the drive. You do know Windows wraps around like a belt and makes 3 hidden partitions, you can't access that uses DCOM and HTTP to communicate securely? The pathways are "\\\\.\\" type format and they're entirely for IPC, System related communication. Yes the "system" talks to the other parts of the "system" using this pathway and a number  of "SID"s. 

I used to think like you, just rip it out, it wasn't like that in XP. Windows Vista and 7 weren't even totally dependent on the DCOM/HTTP Auto Proxy but alas, after several convo's with those currently developing this version of 20H2, have educated me that none of that matters and to leave it alone. Windows is based off Linux and the Unix Socket system and it does run Linux, Python, even Github type apps beneath the OS we all see. That's why the HKLM BCD is all 0's, there's leftover server 2008, Vista, even XP in the registry because the OS still uses that stuff. We just don't see it. Look at the number of SID's, none are real people but the one ending in "1001" and even that is stored in "App Data Local Temp". 

You can turn off nearly all services under "Services" and accomplish the same result, certain ones like DCOM,HTTP Auto Proxy, and a few others like anything ending in "user_numbers" cannot be turned off from there. However, you could turn off enough to cripple your PC, so if the person isn't sure about a service, it's best to make it "manual" not "disabled". 

So if anyone wants to go down the path of doing what this OP says and disable your DCOM, do it before you add a single program or driver. Do it to an installed system and you're asking for troubles.

Want to keep hackers out? Turn off "Enable Remote Connections" and "Remote Desktop". You can even disable all the "Hyper-V" stuff if you're not running any VMware. Windows 10 X64 20H2 is not designed to operate without DCOM and the rest of it's "core" components. Windows is now all called "Core" for a reason. It's so in the future things just work with Windows seamlessly. 

Disabling DCOM does nothing to prevent crashes nor does it utilize resources in excess or that you'd even notice until it's something you need. Like Xbox Gamebar or Windows Store or Tiles, Toasts, Your Phone, anything else one might want to use. COM=Common Object, so go ahead gut your OS. Has nothing to do with Azure, or any of that garbage at the end of your WOT. It's not a "simple home gamer's issue" because DCOM has zip to do with interfering with games since about XP. 

alexv305
Journeyman III

I've had sam off since my last post. Not a single random reboot. Can anyone confirm this is the cause?

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

I can confirm it is a possible cause since this 2.1.0.0 seems to be a problematic BIOS update. I'm going back to the 1.0.8.0 to see if that's it. The "Curve optimizer" seems to be a problem causing cores to drop/fail to boost under heavy load, even when disabled. My fight is with the 5600X and no connected issue with the RX 6800 that I could find. Seems all CPU at this point, so SAM may well be an issue. 

I have an AsRock board so this "resize bar(SAM)" option is part of the new 2.1.0.0 BIOS I did to install the 5600X. At first I had "Above 4G Decoding" on and that allowed for SAM but you lose the DVD drive due to disabling CSM. I'm sure it's an AsRock issue because their BIOS's are really twisted garbage. Ask Buildzoid. I bought mine because it was on sale. I only use Gigabyte or sometimes Asus, stuck with it for now.

Jokerface
Adept I

I have the same issue with my 6800 XT.
The issue is still not solved for me, but i described the steps i took based on the support suggestions.

Maybe they help in your case - no idea.
One thing is clear, I won't ever buy an AMD card again.

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/sapphire-nitro-rx-6800-xt-crashing-and-bat-bleep-crazy-story/m...

0 Likes