Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

BibiOrunitia
Adept I

XTX 7900, stable, is it possible?

Hello,

I bought a new setup this year, thinking I would finally have peace of mind.

Finally I find myself with lots of problems and I regret having chosen AMD.

Here is the configuration:

Magix Optix MAG342CQR
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
MSI B650 Gaming Plus WIFI
32GB DDR5 RAM 6000 MHz Corsair Vengeance (2x 16GB - Dual Channel)

AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX - 24GB

1000 Go Western Digital WD Blue SN580

Since then I have never had this much problem (blue screen + driver timeout).

I tested several things:

- No OC

- Chispet update
- Bios update
- Total removal of drivers and reinstallation (AMD cleaner + DDU)
- Repair

I look at the topics and I see a lot of complaints about this graphics card especially with a Freesync screen (2k resolution)

I disabled freesync (which I find unacceptable for this type of GPU).

I have fewer bsods but still crashes in games.

I've tried a lot of things in terms of settings but nothing works.

Some people manage to run games with UWQHD resolution with freesync and in good conditions?

If yes, what is your configuration (Win11, AMD setting, etc.) please?

Is it better for this resolution to buy another GPU?

6 Replies
kalo86
Adept I

Hello, I copy & paste the same message because AMD has to be aware of this issue which is NOT ACCEPTABLE!

I have the code 43 issue with a brand new PC with the Asus TUF Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition.

At every cold start, Windows 11 Professional boots with a very bad resolution (1204x768 most likely) and in Device Manager the AMD GPU shows the error code 43. 

I tried everything about drivers, Adrenalin software, removing the old drivers, installing the most recent from AMD, the one from Asus TUF --> nothing.

I tried even disabling the FreeSync --> nothing.

The technical support asked me to try to use another wall plug from a different room but again, the problem exists. I notice much more issues with the latest driver (installed yesterday).

This is the PC configuration:
CPU: Intel Core i9-14900KF
MBO: ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING, WiFi
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX, 24GB, 420W (Asus TUF OC)
RAM: 64GB (2x 32GB Kit) DDR5-6000 CL30, G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB
SSD: 1TB Samsung 990 Pro, M.2 PCIe 4.0
PSU: 1000W ASUS ROG Strix Gold Aura
FAN: Corsair iCUE LINK H170i RGB, AIO
0 Likes
kitastan
Adept II

I also had problems with my Asrock 7900XTX Taichi like drivers crashes and PC restarts.  I pinpointed the problem to power supply. I had a old Corsair HX 1000W with had a two 12v lines. I have changed power supply to Corsair AX1200 with one 100A line and all the problems have disappeared.   All is working perfectly.   I can move the power limit to 15% and its now consuming 460W and still all is working good. 

Stock 7900xtx is taking about 600w  peak power which can cause problems, a very good psu is a must.

As for your problem check the power connections, the wires, if each PCIE 8 pin have its own connection to PSU. You can also try lowering the power limit of the GPU to minimum. If it helps that mean that the PSU is not good enough (this is how i found that my old PSU bad the problem). 

0 Likes
BibiOrunitia
Adept I

Thank you for your answers.

My question is mainly this: Is it possible to run this GPU in Freesync with UWQHD resolution?
If not, I'd better change it.
AMD confirmed a year ago that there is a problem with Freesync but I don't know if this has been resolved.
For the power supply I have an 850W.
Buying a more powerful power supply just to test then having the same problems in the end, that bothers me a little

0 Likes

What model? 

I had 1000w and it was the cause of the problems.  It may not be in your case but if the crashes are under load then it may be it. 

0 Likes
kalo86
Adept I

I have a brand new PC with 1000W power supply and I'm already upset to discover that there could be a potential issue on the PSU.

This means that the PC configuration has never been correctly tested.

Is it possible to understand clearly what is the power requirement for this AMD 7900 XTX gpu?
I think it's better to have a clear statement from AMD and then select the most appropriate PSU, not the contrary!

0 Likes
BibiOrunitia
Adept I

I checked the PSU and there are 2 8pins with their own connection to PSU, everything seems OK.

0 Likes