Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

silicon
Newcomer

XFX R9-390 Issues, Please Help

I need a bit of help.

My R9 390 just kicked the bucket the other day and I want to know if there is anything I can do to fix it before I shell out cash to buy another gpu of similar performance (these inflated prices suck).

I was playing a game and walked out of my room for a few minutes and when I came back my monitor was black. I tried rebooting my PC, the monitor would turn on normally then a green bar would appear on the left side of the screen, then it would either go black or ask me to launch windows in safe mode. Even if I booted windows in safe mode it would go black again.

I figured that the thermal compound dripped onto the resistors and other components surrounding the gpu die, and that's what happened. This happened a year before and I was able to clean it up and get it working again, however, after I cleaned it, it still wouldn't work.

I've only had this card for about 1.5 years, and I was wondering if the thermal compound (arctic silver 5) might have killed it, or if it just died for seemingly no reason. My computer works just fine without the card.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

-----------

List of my components just in case:

XFX R9-390 8G

Sentey XPlus 725W

Intel Core i3 6100

MSI B150M Gaming Pro

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8G, DDR4

0 Likes
0 Replies