cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

XFX Merc 319 6800XT Idle Temp & Fans

I've been reading everywhere that the Merc 319 6800XT has fairly high idle temps.  I don't put a lot of stress on the card especially in idle.  I have a few windows open for work typically during the day with a live background wallpaper that displays a few colors, nothing special.  

When idling I'm seeing temps typically between 50-54c.  This started to concern me so I turned off the Zero RPM toggle so the fans would kick in and bring temps down.  My questions are as follows....

1. Are 50c idle temps normal for this card or could it cause harm in the long run?

2. Is there any major disadvantage to turning off Zero RPM and keeping the fans running (GPU comes down to about 38c with fans running on idle.

Thanks in advance for any advice or other suggestions!

0 Likes
2 Replies
Omgnoway
Adept III

I have the 6800 xt sapphire .

I to was concerned about temps ,

But everything I read said that it was normal for 50 to 60 celcius on idle with cool and quite. 

But I did put a fan profile just to make sure.

Good to know.  Dug further into it on XFX's website and it seems these temps are normal for idle as well.  They only jumped up into the 50's when I started using the live wallpapers which makes sense.  Just wanting to make sure this wont cause any long term issues.

Only thing I'm wondering at this point then is if it would hurt anything to keep fans going often on the GPU.  Right now they're set to kick on if it reaches 60c.

0 Likes