cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ivan1985
Adept I

xfx 7800xt problem

Hi all. I have a problem with my gpu. xfx 7800xt merc .  Probably had the problem all along but i noticed it when i bought a high refresh rate monitor. When i enable the freesync the monitor experiencing brightness flickeering. At first i though it was the monitor but now i am sure its the gpu. tested the monitor on another pc it was ok.  tested my old rx570 on my build  no problem ,7800xt on my old build problem.  I can reproduce the problem by just open the adrenalin app , enable the freesync and when i move the mouse on the app's buttons the fps on the monitor shows 100/ 165 and it's flicking.

adding lower hz in the advanced display settings 60-120 no problem.

144 /165 there is the problem. also the flicker is in games also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q3ZZLbtJ9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgACT3qd33M

any ideas??

0 Likes
13 Replies
Kalana
Challenger

Hi, have you tried Disabling MPO (Multi-plane overlay) or in game overlay mode? And if it still persists, only solution is to turn off free-sync entirely. You won't notice any performance drops, this feature only helps if a game causes screen tearing.

Though it's less frequent, if it's the monitor causing it.This flickering primarily affects high refresh rate VA panels specifically made by Samsung, but it can also affect displays built on other panel technologies like IPS, OLED, and TN. Assume that certain of your games cause the brightness on your 144Hz VA gaming monitor to flicker.

Keep in mind that one unit of a certain monitor may have this issue, but another unit of the same monitor may work perfectly fine due to different scenarios in settings!

You experience brightness flickering primarily due to two factors: frequent FPS fluctuations and LFC. If your gaming monitor is an AMD graphics card and has a variable refresh rate range of 48-144Hz, it will start Low Frame-rate Compensation (LFC) when your FPS (Frames Per Second) drops to 47FPS or less.

Now, even when your frame-rate falls below the VRR range of the monitor, LFC multiplies your framer-ate to prevent tearing. For example, it triples to 141Hz at 47FPS.

For example, if you have 48 frames per second and 48Hz refresh rate one second, and 47FPS and 141Hz refresh rate the next, respectively. Brightness fluctuates because a higher refresh rate makes your monitor brighter.
Brightness flickering results from LFC rapidly turning on and off if your frame rate is consistently at 48 frames per second.

Reducing your picture settings to preserve a higher frame rate is an easy fix for this. As an alternative, you can extend the VRR range by using the CRU (Custom Resolution Utility).

0 Likes

Hi and thanks for your reply. I haven't try MPO. I am looking right now how to do it. From what i've learned so far , to disable MPO i need to download "Radeon Software Customize Setup" and select not to instal MPO.

Now about the "in game overlay"  yes i have disable it but in my situation it didn't help, I have brightness flickering even on some desktop apps like adrenalin app ,discord etc. On games with average fps 140 i have constantly brightness flickering all the time, from the moment i enable it till i turn it off (freesync premium). In games with 600 fps like lol i have brightness flickering  and also with capped fps to 144 , 165 and sometimes 120.

When i connect second monitor i have flickering everywhere even in desktop with the display sets at 75hz with freesync on

Yes my monitor is va and i spend time already returning it but they send it back and said the monitor is 100% operational. That is why i tried the monitor on another computer and tried it with 3 separate gpus. The only one that is having flickering all the time is the 7800xt and i mean all the time. All the other gpus they flick just in menus and when a game starts i have brightness flicker for half a  second and then settles and seems normal to me.

If the gpu has a hardware issue , in time it might get worse even when freesync off. Also enabling freesync i noticed that it consumes less power especially in idle mode so its a feature i want to use for power saving. What do you think? Its possible that my gpu is broken? Its the first time i pay so much for a gpu and i am starting to think that i made a huge mistake.

*i did disable MPO through regegit. nothing changed ..

0 Likes

Hi, sorry nothing didn't worked. And I'm not certain it is the GPU. It seem due to handling the High Refresh rates. The problem usually is panel quality and the display driver not working properly. This problem usually goes away after FreeSync is disabled, but since you require it. Let's try few other things. 

Also just for you to know, the 7800XT should be idle at about 17W whether FreeSync is On or not and It consumes roughly 28–30W when operating at a low load, such as a web browser on two screens. When idle, the shader clock reports being about 40MHz, and the memory clock is about 330MHz.

Have you tried to download CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) and extend the VRR range? and also set the FreeSync range 60-165 hertz. Both could help as well.

It could also be driver, either windows update is messing with it or the driver version itself. Which Adrenalin Version you are using? If it's the latest 23.12.1, it is mentioned in known issues about the flickering. If so to try solve both

Use the link be low to download the DDU and cleanup the drivers as instructed on the page. Booting Windows Safe-mode will be better handled in cleaning process.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

Also have the previous version driver downloaded as well to install once it's cleaned up. I come across that 23.9.1 was safe so far but let's see if it works.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-7000-series/amd-radeon-rx-780...

And you can also Disable or turn off Windows Display Driver Update avoiding future driver conflicts. You can find this on, Advanced System Setting - System Properties - Hardware - Device Installation Settings.

Or the cable issue. Try a different cable and see if it works. Also note that HDMI is a fixed bit rate for the display resolution you are set to, while Display Port is a variable bit rate for the display resolution you are set to. So why they recommend that you use Display Port with Free-Sync on later Gen GPUs.

0 Likes
ivan1985
Adept I

Firstly i want to say Thanks for helping me with my issue!

Using on my pc my old rx 570 doesn't do any flickering ( i dont know if its flickering exacly.. its like there is a broken light and it flashes on an off constantly. and stronger when i am using a second monitor, it's lIke 10 times more strong effect. I did try DDU in safe mode  and tried the older  drivers some minutes ago and nothing changed. I also tried cru made many adjusments in freesync range and also some other timing  parameters like exact reduced cvt standard rb and rb2 etc. The only one made a little deference was the cvt standard but it only worked on desktop.. while gaming the flickering was there. 

Now about the monitor i think it doesn't have a problem. it was my first assumption that's why i returned it first. But after i made my own tests on another computers with another gpus i saw it that it was working normally under low and fast fps, there was no flickering except some minor times in menus and in the beginning of the game play

My 7800xt on idle with free sync premium on consumes about 11-17 w (2 monitors)

With free sync off consumes 67w (with 2 monitors)

*You are right The watt consumption is the same with free sync on and off ( in 1 monitor situation)

** update on the last one . There is no difference  when i connect a second monitor . The wattage under freesync are much less  ( one monitor configuration  with freesync ->11w , one monitor without sync 43w)

120 144 and 165 hz with free sync on it flickers. Also in case it helps when freesync starts the image color become warmer and when i disable freesync it become "normal-darker" after 7-9 seconds  (in the video at 0:15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w01ypkAmrL0

This reaction is only on desktop . Trying 100 hz on display settings and capping the cod's fps to not exceed 100 (like 90 fps) the image become warmer again and it starts flickering

0 Likes

Hi, sure thing. All though I'm sorry I couldn't help out so far and seems to be running out of options. Still we could try another possibility.

Before that, are you using a HDMI or DP cable? If HDMI, it's recommended and better to go for a DP for high refresh rates. Also note that RX570 uses HDMI 2.0b and if DisplayPort 1.4a and the 7800XT has HDMI 2.1a and DisplayPort 2.1 make sure you have the latest cable type for the 7800XT and VESA Certified, The Gen of the Cable and the Certification matters when it come to High Performing Display outputs.

Next, have you got the Monitor Driver installed ? and also on the Monitors OSD, see if the Display Mode to AdaptiveSync or AMD FreeSync Premium too.

0 Likes

The problem is with both hdmi and dp cable. My monitor is limited on the hdmi (2.0) to only 100 hz

The dp cable is the one that came with monitor and i bought one logilink 32.8 i think bandwidth. Both cables work well on my rx570 165 hz.

Today i turned on my computer and after some seconds in windows  my screen blinked for some seconds and the adrenalin software couldn't load. It was saying that its not compatible with my gpu. I looked on the drivers and it had installed by its own an SI version 23.20.30. What kind of version its this SI?

Its not the first time happens. it happens 1 time per week and i thought it was some driver issue You think its some how related to the freesync problem?

About the monitor driver yes is installed (tried with oem driver also) the osd is installed too  and adaptive sync is enabled in the osd

0 Likes

I see, have both the cables replaced to DP (VESA Certified) and check. Meanwhile, I'm not sure exactly what that driver is, and it seems like a Open Source release rather a AMD Official  release. You did turned off Windows Graphics Driver Update right? If so, have you got any other 3rd party software's for PC optimization which contains automatic driver updates?

0 Likes

I am not sure that the cables are the problem. I mean with rx570 and rx5500xt the cables are working fine.

Yes the manufactures updates on windows  are off.  I am not sure about 3rd party apps. I have armory crate from asus but it doesn't auto update . 

0 Likes

Yeah, but as I mentioned. Those two GPU's use older version of DP ports and cables.

All though I'm not sure how that driver was installed automatically.

0 Likes
MrScuba
Journeyman III

Hi I'm having problems as well unfortunately my MSI Rtx 3090 packed up so I thought id give Amd a try and bought the XT 7800 16gb as pennies dictate at the moment but I can now only do one custom resolutions on one out of two of my side monitors (Three monitor setup )and before I could do the two and i can only get 120htz max and my main monitor is a 240htz

0 Likes
ivan1985
Adept I

in one monitor setup with your main monitor can you achieve 240hz?

haritaki
Journeyman III

Having the same exact issue with my XFX 7800XT. I'm seeing brightness flicker even on the desktop, it's very noticeable.

I have 2 monitors and seeing the same watt usage as you. With freesync off, it will be around 70 watts at idle. With freesync on, it will drop down to 11-13 watts at idle. I've also found that these numbers will not change even if only have one monitor connected instead of two. Tried switching cables too and using hdmi or displayport will not make a difference either.

Also spent a lot of time playing with CRU but no dice.

0 Likes

very informative