cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

symbioticdesign
Journeyman III

Why isn't the RX580 Available in a Mobile Version for iMacs?

I mean, it should seem pretty darn obvious there is a need, here.  I have a 2011 iMac with an upgradeable graphics card and this model is having graphics problems with the AMD Radeon 5770 cards it came with.  Furthermore, the 5770 graphics card is the one barrier preventing these Macs from making the transition to "Metal" support and allowing the systems to update to MacOS X: Catalina or Mohave.

We really like these machines and you can see many upgrading their systems to an Nvidia card in order to run Mohave or Catalina, even though that hack eliminates boot screens and sacrifices brightness control. 

This is a big market, and why we love the 2011 and older iMacs is because they are so easily upgradible.  But, AMD, in its infinite wisdom provides absolutely no upgrade for the older machines even though it is in the business of providing aftermarket solutions (as well as OEM solutions) to the computer industry. 

This seems like a no-brainer.  These are great computers.  What is the problem?  How come there is no AMD Radeon RX580 8GB Mobile Retail Graphics Updrade Card (with Metal Support) for 2011 and older iMacs? 

AMD, you do realize that it is your 5770 card that is failing in these older units (when it should not be), right?  You do realize that iMac owners should have the same right to repairability as PC owners?  That not having an upgrade solution available when your cards are failing (and the single barrier to further upgrades in the OS) does not shine a favorable light on you, right?  That such an option would likely create new life for what, 2009 to 2011 iMacs? 

I honestly want to be on your side, but when you aren't on my side, I become alarmed.

0 Likes
0 Replies