cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

gibbsyns3
Adept I

Why does my RX550 low profile sometimes sound like an asthmatic 70 year old?

The noise is really annoying in what is an otherwise silent PC - but it is far worse than fan noise - imagine an asthmatic 70 year old robot trying to have sex with a vacuum cleaner. But also there is the issue of whether or not the fans are actually working/cooling, or whether it is some other mechanical fault. 

This is an intermitent problem, but it happens often, most typically but not always at system start up. 

The card makes a really rough sounding noise, like a grinding, for a few seconds, then silence for a second, then the grinding noise again and so on. Might last a few minutes, it might last a few hours. It sounds more like a struggling mechanical hard drive, but I don't have any of those, and anyway, there is no doubt whatever that the vibration that accompanies the noise is coming from the card.

My best guess would be that the fans are attempting to start and failing, or something is blocking them. But due to the cramped confines of the sff case, I cannot see if the fans are turning at all. I have checked that there is nothing touching the card and that it is seated correctly.

Windows 10 pro (64) and I have all drivers up to date Driver Version
21.30.25.05-211005a-372545C-RadeonSoftware.

0 Likes
1 Reply

Turn off power to your PC and manually spin the GPU card's fan with your finger.

It should spin very easily and smoothly and quietly.

If you feel any resistance at all or the fins are making noise when you spin it faster with your finger indicates the bearings on the GPU Fan are shot or it needs to be lubricated again with oil.

Otherwise you will need to replace it if any of the above is a factor.

Note: a grinding noise from the fan indicates lack of lubrication or your fan bearings are bad.