cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

What will be your next video card? Survey on when you'll buy it / how much you are willing to spend

Are you saving up for a new AMD Radeon, Nvidia GeForce or an Intel Arc video card?  Are you going to buy one that is available now or are you going to wait for the next generations?  This is sort of a survey - and while we are at it, how much money in USD are you willing to pay for that new video card?  Please answer the following:

1. Buy a new video card this year (summer / fall 2023) or wait for new video cards to come out over the holidays (winter 2023 / spring 2024).
  2. What is your budget for the new video card?  Price points:  under $300 USD, between $301 USD and $500 USD, between $501 USD and $900 USD, or over $901 USD.
  3. What brand video card are you most interested in?  Select between AMD, Nvidia and Intel.

I chose a Radeon 7900XT based on performance and price.I chose a Radeon 7900XT based on performance and price.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
12 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Good one! 

With the RX6800 on the main Rig, the RX480 on test bench and the 6950XT in the soon to be editing rig.

I kind of want to save the money

But who knows, money can't go with me to the after life. You got to spend some on happiness in hardware form.

BTW I'm very curious with the next MCM GPUs. 

The Englishman

So you are waiting at least to the next generation video cards then.  I think you raised an interesting point, the Multi-Chip Module (MCM) video cards are likely in the pipeline.  I don't know when we will see examples of them, but I don't think we have the MCM architecture in our current AMD RDNA3 cards or the RTX-4000 series from Nvidia.  Maybe next generation?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I think that the Navi31 7900XTX is already the very early steps of Multi Chip.
But to be honest.. I'm yet to read more info about it.

johnnyenglish_0-1688855043779.png

The Englishman
radosuaf
Adept II

RX 6700 10GB is coming to me tomorrow. Last chance to grab something with >8 GB VRAM, decent performance, power draw and price.

Meatpopsikle
Adept II

I just got a PowerColor RX 7600 Fighter from Micro Center. This thing is a beast!! Don't think I will ever go back to nVidia cards. This thing was worth every penny and looks better then nVidia GPU's. Had the chance to A/B this against a RTX 3060 and the RX 7600 left it in the dust!! Couldn't be happier!!

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

So, we have people buying cards right now.  What was your budget for the card you just got your hands on?  

Is anyone waiting for the next series of video cards to be released?  How long are you willing to wait?

0 Likes
Meatpopsikle
Adept II

I usually won't spend more then $300 for a GPU. Most I have ever paid was $320. Thought it was awesome that AMD lowered the price of the RX 7600.

backFireX64
Forerunner

I am currently having a blast with my RX 6900 XT and will not upgrade until the next generation (rx 8000 xt series) because i have only a 1080p 144hz monitor and i am satisfied with my current gpu. I wouldn't mind paying over $900 but i want at least a 50% uplift in performance to justify a new gpu. I would really like to match a newer beefier gpu with a new OLED 4K 120hz monitor. Lastly, i think i'll stay with AMD as long as the pricing is right.

Those are good reasons for waiting.  You have a video card now that meets your needs and meanwhile you can save up the dough for a really high performance video card to match a new monitor that I know want.  I have several machines on my LAN that runs games at 1080p / 60 Hz.  They aren't bad but my newer machines with higher performance monitors and video cards are the first to be chosen during a LAN party!

supreme
Adept II

I got the RX 7600 last month. I could have gotten something better, but decided to gamble on something new and its potential.

My next one will definitely have more than 8GB VRAM and is capable of 1440p + ray tracing smoothly. I'll wait a year at least.

[ASRock B450m/ac R.20 | 5800X3D | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 3200 16GBx2 | RX 7600]
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

@supreme - What is your price range for that next video card?  Are we talking $501 to $900 USD?

0 Likes

Stick closer to $500-$600. I'm excited to see what's released then!

I'm still on AM4 chipset and will most likely upgrade CPU & mobo too.

[ASRock B450m/ac R.20 | 5800X3D | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 3200 16GBx2 | RX 7600]