Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

THT
Journeyman III

Washed out Video when Hardware-Acceleration is on

Hello everyone,
recently I started using my Laptop with external monitor. When these are plugged in Videos start to be "washed out". The first 1-2 seconds it's normal and then get's a white blur/Brighter, I guess. 
I figured out by disabling Hardware Acceleration in my Browser for ex. it stops. But ofc there are some apps for which you can't turn it off like the Media-Player.
It's really annoying, especially because it just starts 1-2 sec. after playing it.

Furthermore it does not happen when the monitors are not plugged in!

Difference between the internal and external monitor is just that the internal does have HDR. But even if turned off for it the problem continues.

Using a Huawei MateBook D16 with a Ryzen 5 4600H in it.

Hope you guys can help me out

4 Replies
Hector123
Adept I

This has been an ongoing problem. I have a RX 6700 XT and currently am not suffering from this issue. However I did have this issue a few months ago on my RX 6700 XT and also years ago when I had an RX 580.

I have no idea when the problem stopped or why. Considering how long this has been an issue I wouldn't be suprised if it happens again. Here are a few things I can suggest. Make sure Windows and your GPU drivers are up to date. Make sure your display is set to Full RGB in AMD Display settings and Default in AMD Video Settings.

Hopefully some of that helps.

Thanks for you help.
Though it sadly did not work out. It indeed seems to be a weird problem.
Changed every setting as you said.

Maybe it'll fix itself with upcoming updates.

0 Likes
michalpl7
Adept I

Hello, I'm having the same issue and this is driving me crazy.

Laptop is ASUS Zephyrus G14 '21 with AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS running on Windows 11 Pro and signal is passed by HDMI to NEC EA275WMi monitor.

Radeon drivers are 30.0.13002.1001 (05.08.2021) - I know it's not the latest but this one is provided from ASUS.

When I watch something in Edge like Netflix and select this browser ( focus ) colors are washed out, but when I for example select other window like Windows Explorer everything looks much better colors are deeper, more contrast, less brightness but this does not work in full screen. Same problem occurs in Chrome.

I tried settings in Radeon Software > Video and changed Profile to Vivid ( too bright ) and Cinema Classic ( too dark ) it does not help lot.

The only solution to watch in full screen is to disable hardware acceleration but it uses much more power resources than GPU.

Any idea what I could do to watch it in browser with good colors and hardware acceleration?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

Really very late reply but i still have the problems on chrome, brave, opera, also edge. The only browser so far that has no issues with washed out colours on AMD platform is Firefox. Also you are right about turning off hardware acceleration, it does fix the washed out colours but then without hardware acceleration most videos face frame drops sometimes barely watchable. As of now this isuue is still not fixed on AMD platforms (I have the ASUS ROG Strix G15 Ryzen 9 5900HX RTX 3060) , i run my laptop on battery for youtube playbacks on firefox, it may not be battery efficient as edge but atleast colours are not washed.

Another tip- go to chrome://flags search Force color profile then change it to scRGB Linear

0 Likes