cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

ventzaq
Adept III

VR openVR benchmark performance expectations

Though pleased with the latest drivers fps improvement, from around 30 to 37 running on the HP G2 at 90Hz, it looks like it is only performing at just above a 3080ti. 

I appreciate it is a synthetic benchmark , but as it renders in the headset it seems a reasonable base to compare figures. So, is this an indication that further driver performance improvements can be made ?

Anyone have a figure for what a previous generation AMD GPU on the same headset would score ?

Also, are we at a stage when driver optimisation for VR has to be implemented for each individual game, or benchmark ?

0 Likes
5 Replies
gmazza
Adept II

No idea what an older card scores, though your result is in the same ballpark as mine with  G2 V2 (just over 40 with a 5800X3D, 32 GB of 3200/14 RAM, 2 TB M.2 HDD, X570 m/b and 1000W PSU). This is almost double what I was getting before the latest drivers. Weirdly, when I use my Quest 2, the FPS almost doubles again, though I don't see double the fps in most actual games. 

I have seen a huge bump in fps/frame times in the actual games I play in VR. MSFS is solid at 60 fps plus with graphics almost maxed out, and ETS2 ranges between 45-90, depending on what's being rendered. I have found that setting the display to 60 Hz in the WMR settings makes a big difference to smoothing out the lows in both games, not sure why. I get a smooth 90 fps in MSFS in less complex environments, but if I fly low in a city with 3D data, I get smooth interrupted with huge freezes. Dropping to 60 hz mostly seems to stop the freezing.

In other words, much better than it was, but still major problems and far from truly fixed considering the true raster capability of the card.  

ventzaq
Adept III

Probably should start another topic, but I notice today vrmark has an option if you start in nonVR mode to ‘Allow content to run on an HMD’ so it can render in the headset. May be of interest to people to try.

Appologies if everyone knows this. Seems odd default to not render in HMD for a VR benchmark. Though might make people feel a little vr sickness if wearing headset as fixed camera.

0 Likes
VidMate
Journeyman III

The performance expectations for VR applications using OpenVR can vary depending on several factors:

1. Hardware Specifications: The performance of a VR application heavily relies on the capabilities of the VR hardware, including the VR headset, GPU (Graphics Processing Unit), CPU (Central Processing Unit), and amount of RAM. High-end hardware will generally provide smoother and more immersive VR experiences like Vidmate APP.

2. Graphics Settings: VR applications often have graphical settings that can be adjusted to balance visual fidelity and performance. Lowering graphical settings can improve performance on less powerful hardware.

3. Refresh Rate: VR headsets typically have different refresh rate options (e.g., 90Hz, 120Hz, or even higher). Higher refresh rates can result in smoother experiences, but they require more powerful hardware to maintain consistent performance.

4. Resolution: Higher resolution settings demand more processing power. Lowering the resolution in the VR settings can help improve performance.

5. Content Complexity: The complexity of the VR application or game can significantly impact performance. Highly detailed environments, complex interactions, and numerous in-game entities can put more strain on the hardware.

6. Optimization: Well-optimized VR applications will run more smoothly and require less powerful hardware. Developers can use various optimization techniques to ensure optimal performance.

0 Likes

Thanks. All of which goes to show how difficult it is to compare VR performance between cards, which I would like to see between the much improved 23.7.1 drivers on a 7900xtx on a reverb g2 and same setup with other cards. Ideally with a ryzen 3600x cpu too. I got 90Hz when outputting to HMD  in vrmark runs. Mine have been uploaded to vrmark for comparisons if anyone interested. Or, put another way : despite much improved VR performance with latest drivers for me, should I expect further improvement ?

0 Likes
ventzaq
Adept III

Having said that it looks like the issue “7900XTX Virtual Reality High Frametime Deltas” has a great impact on more demanding title, so I look forward to progress on that.

0 Likes