cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Grunchy
Journeyman III

Vega56 black screen during boot using Displayport (when HDMI is also connected)

Video Card: Power color "red devil" Vega 56. Windows 10 pro, Ryzen 1800x, MSI B350 "pc mate" motherboard. 16GB ram.

My connections are: displayport via an adapter cable to the HDMI input on my monitor, and another connection from HDMI output to the television.

It's a "dual display" setup in case I want to display something on the television, but usually I just use the monitor.

PROBLEM: if the HDMI cable is connected then none of the bootup messages are displayed via displayport. I can only see bootup on the television. The monitor stays black until the Windows bootup starts.

If I want to see any bootup messages on the monitor (BIOS changes, whatever) I have to physically pull the HDMI cable.

Isn't there some way to change a setting on the video card so that during bootup I can see information via displayport?

(By the way regarding the obvious easy fix, switch ports so that displayport goes to the television & HDMI to the monitor: this won't work because I have a 30' HDMI cable running up inside the wall over the ceiling to the television PROJECTOR. I would have to get a different kind of DP/HDMI female adapter and another, different HDMI cable for the monitor. Why can't the video card just be configured to work the way I want it? It's only during bootup, come on AMD.)

0 Likes
1 Reply
Thanny
Miniboss

I don't think you're going to be able to change that.  With previous cards, boot output went to all connected screens, but that seems to have changed with Vega, which only outputs to a single screen.

It was a bad change, and I'm not aware of any way to get around it.

0 Likes