cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

hahaokbye
Journeyman III

Upgraded Mac Mini 2018 to MacOS Sonoma 14.5 and now AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT only works 5% of the time

Basically the title. On MacOS Monterey I used to be able to just keep the eGPU (Razer Core X Chroma) plugged into the Mac Mini, with 2 monitors plugged into the eGPU, and no monitors plugged in directly into the Mac Mini, startup the Mac Mini, and everything was fine. Now that will only work 5% of the time.

I have tried plugging in the 1st display into the Mac Mini and the 2nd one into the eGPU, but only the display connected to the Mac Mini will work. I have tried unplugging the Thunderbolt cable of the eGPU and moving it to other ports. This works only 5% of the time. Then when that's working (one monitor plugged directly into the Mac Mini and one plugged into the eGPU), when I unplug the HDMI cable from my Mac Mini and plug it into the eGPU, both displays will work for a few minutes and then it will freeze.

The Razer Core X Chroma is detected on System Information under Thunderbolt. Like I said, the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT is detected 5% of the time but then it will freeze if I move the monitor from the Mac Mini to the eGPU.

And yes, either display will work fine on its own if I plug it directly into the Mac Mini. The eGPU is plugged directly into a wall outlet, and I've checked the power cables on the video card.

Anyone have a similar experience or can help me with this? I spoke to Apple Support and they sent me here to see if there's perhaps a new or experimental driver I could try or if it's a problem that AMD is aware of. Because again, this was working fine on MacOS Monterey, but now that I'm on MacOS Sonoma 14.5 I've run into problems.

I'd greatly appreciate any help. Thank you.

0 Likes
0 Replies