cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

POG
Adept II

Temperature of 7900 xtx -hot spot

Hello. Two days ago I found out that my graphics card is overheating. It reaches up to 105 celsius while playing. The game does not crash, but the temperature is increased... the difference between the GPU temperature and the hot spot is 40 celsius, which is not good. Even if I put the fans on maximum to try to cool it, the temperature is still 98 celsius

0 Likes
1 Solution
POG
Adept II

problem solved...Complaint acknowledged and new card purchased. rtx 4080S and the resolution is incredible....temperature up to 60 celsius and consumption....Hopefully AMD will fine-tune the cards, especially the software,...I mean game support, which unfortunately is terrible

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

You could try custom fan curves, which it looks like you already tried, repasting the GPU, or RMA but I don't think that any companies take RMAs unless it exceeds 110c. That's the max temp for the XTX. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

I set the curve so that the fans went to maximum non-stop, but the temperature almost did not change. For me, a demanding game like Dota2 has a hotspot of 70 celsius, but as soon as I start a straight game, it goes to 100+ celsius

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Yeah that is too hot. Repasting would be my next move.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

If you feel comfortable, repaste it.  Both my 7900xtx cards (one reference model, and one as rock aqua) had high temps right out of the box. A quick repaste dropped all temps big time. Even being on water, both saw very very high temps out of the box.  There are a billion vids on how to pull the card apart, and repaste it.  Trust me, this is the way. 

I also went with ptm 7950 on both cards.  GPU and Hot spot temps are over HALF (using HWiNFO) running games all day long. 
Repaste it boss, and report back.  Cheers

My card is still under warranty and I wouldn't want to lose the warranty because of this intervention... I was advised to take care of it, but as I said... the warranty is still a year

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

You could call the manufacturer and see if repasting voids the warranty.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Exemplar

Is your card a reference AMD or a partner model? How long have you had the card, and was this issue always present or it just started in the last 2 days?

There were some early 7900XTX vapor chamber problems causing overheating on reference cards but those should have all been fixed shortly after launch more than a year ago.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

GPU - GIGABYTE RX 7900 XTX GAMING OC

I know about the problem 2 days ago.. I didn't follow it before and now after a year I was interested.. maybe I saw the values once in the past, but I have a feeling that they were above 90 celsius.

0 Likes

I suggest you open a Gigabyte support ticket for your card.

https://esupport.gigabyte.com/Login/Index?

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
Koyote7667
Challenger

And id just repaste it, but do you. 

POG
Adept II

ideal, but I would lose the warranty on the card.....unfortunately, this has to be done by the service, but I am afraid that, like most of the services, they did it completely badly or in poor quality.....It is possible that I will negotiate and in I'll get paid in the final...we'll see

0 Likes
POG
Adept II

problem solved...Complaint acknowledged and new card purchased. rtx 4080S and the resolution is incredible....temperature up to 60 celsius and consumption....Hopefully AMD will fine-tune the cards, especially the software,...I mean game support, which unfortunately is terrible

0 Likes