cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Xypez
Adept I

System won't register the graphics card anymore

Hey there, I recently purchased the Radeon rx 6700 XT Fighter because it was on sale, and have used it for 2 months non stop in my very old gaming setup.

It worked perfectly with no issues, but then suddently it started acting out. Every morning I had to turn on the pc and shut it off 5 times in a row before a picture showed on the monitor. And it welt to the repair boot, where I just clicked on restart normally, and then it would work perfectly again the whole day. I did this for a week while trying to figure out what was going on via the internet, but then suddently it stopped working altogether. I thought the motherboard was giving out or psu so I swapped the gpu out with my old 1060, and it booted like normal.

Thinking it was odd since the gpu was new, I sent it to the shop for testing and repairs. Then it worked perfectly for the testers, and was shipped back home...

Thinking it was the pcie slot, I installed it in another slot with no change, reinstalled windows and bios. Updated bios and all drivers, except amd because the gpu is not being registered. Checked device manager and even upgraded to windows 11. Nothing...

I have even swapped out the cables to the gpu, also nothing...

I have no idea what this could be, and have run out of options. I either have to pay for a independant repair man or buy new motherboard or motherboard to try and rules that out as faulty. But I decided to give this community support site a shot, to see if I can avoid spending an absurd amount of money, and then that not even being the solution.

My setup is as follows:

Intel core I5-8500

Asus TUF B360-Plus gaming

Crucial ballistix sport 4x8gb 2400 mhz

FSP HYDRO GE 650 Gold 80 PLUS

Radeon rx 6700 xt powercolor fighter

-----

Would really appreciate the help

-Xypez

0 Likes
1 Solution

A 6 y/o PSU might have lost some efficiency and possibly power outputs lower, depending on how high of a quality PSU it is, so that would be a good start anyways to upgrade your PSU to a 850 Watt PSU.

I have a 850 Watt Corsair PSU, that was top of the line at the time of purchase, that is over 13 y/o and still working within 5% tolerance PSU outputs.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

Have you tried a different power supply in your rig? The power difference between a 1060 and a 6700XT is substantial.

And what do you mean you "swapped out the cables to the GPU"? .. Generally you should be running separate cables from your power supply to each power input on your GPU

I'd look into a 750wtt or better 80+ Gold rated (or better) PSU

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

I mean I took out the cables used for the gpu and swapped them with a spare set I had stored. Just to see if it was a cable malfundtion.

I think it might be the psu or motherboard. but whats weird to me is that the gpu was working perfectly fine, but then one day decided to crap out. But since the motherboard and psu works fine with the 1060, I would doubt it being a motherboard issue. 

Gonna buy a new psu and keep you posted

0 Likes

If the GPU card was working fine before and then stop working correctly I would first open a Powercolor Warranty ticket with the Manufacturer of the GPU card to have them check it out.

By the way the Minimum PSU required for the RX 6700XT is 650 Watts.

0 Likes

I know the minimum is 650 watts, and that what I have. So given that the psu is in fact 6 years old by now, I have ordered a 850 watt gold corsair psu to see if that's the issue. If that not the case, then whelp.

Motherboard should be fine since my 1060 works perfectly fine... 

A 6 y/o PSU might have lost some efficiency and possibly power outputs lower, depending on how high of a quality PSU it is, so that would be a good start anyways to upgrade your PSU to a 850 Watt PSU.

I have a 850 Watt Corsair PSU, that was top of the line at the time of purchase, that is over 13 y/o and still working within 5% tolerance PSU outputs.

Swapped the PSU for a 850 gold Corsair. Works perfectly now. So glad it wasn't a motherboard issue