cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Acemax
Adept I

Switchable graphics not working - Samsung Series 7 Notebook

Hi there! First time here. Will do my best to keep it concise as possible. Pardon shortcomings.

I own a Samsung Series 7 700Z5A laptop with two GPUs; a discrete AMD 6770M (chipset labeled as 6600M and 6700M) and an integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000. As the title implies, I am having trouble getting the discrete GPU to work as expected (switching to handle resourse-intensive tasks). In fact, under Graphics options in Settings, the IGPU is seen as both the power-saving and high-performance GPU.

Things I have tried so far:
I have set power settings, both in Power options (Advanced > Switchable graphics) and in AMD's Catalyst Control manager, to Maximum performance. Problem still persists. I tried disabling the IGPU to somewhat force the PC to use the discrete GPU. However, doing so only made the PC use Microsoft Basic Display renderer, even though the discrete GPU was present and working properly (as stated in Device manager). By the way, there is no option in BIOS to do that either, neither is there a "fixed" or "dynamic" switchable graphics option as I have seen in some screenshots.

In safe mode, I have used AMD's cleanup utility and DDU to remove all drivers and driver software, and installed fresh drivers from AMD driver website. Tried Catalyst and the most recent Crimson Beta for legacy graphics hardware. Problem still persists. Also downloaded and ran a bunch of info reporting tools. HWMonitor detects the IGPU but not the discrete card. However, other information reporting tools, namely HWInfo and GPU-Z are able to provide quite substantial information about the discrete card.

One thing I noticed that's particularly odd. After using MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU usage and MSI Kombustor to run stress tests, I noticed that except during stress tests, discrete GPU usage was ALWAYS at 0%, but the temp was at 60°C. During stress tests however, usage was at 98% with temps hovering around the same 60°C - 65°C range. It's probably worth mentioning that Kombustor DID NOT detect the card, though Afterburner did.

Am I missing something? Are there other drivers/software I have to download to get the discrete graphics to be used by the system? Could the cause be something else unrelated to graphics issues? Any help, suggestions and comments will be very appreciated at this point. Would gladly provide more info if requested. Thanks in advance!

PC specifications
Processor: Intel Core i5 2450M
RAM: 1x 4GB
VRAM: 1GB dedicated (Discrete GPU)
AMD Driver version: 15.301.1901.0
Catalyst CC version: 15.8
Intel HD driver version: 9.17.10.4229

0 Likes
1 Solution

Usually,you can't update the bios,etc unless the laptop is plugged in. Using or even installing Afterburner is the cause of many issues.

All in all it doesn't matter...all of this is a waste of time. Either Install 8.1 or Win7 or get a new computer. The problem is the Intel graphics. End of story.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

hi,

download THIS driver https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-non-gcn-16-2-1-beta
its the latest AMD driver for TeraScale-GPUs

now comes the tricky part
1. go to powerplan and change GPU to "optimized" or "maximum" performance (check both please)
2. switchable GPU is now handled by Windows (since 1 or 2 years in Win10) and not the driver
read: https://superuser.com/questions/1331917/how-to-force-amd-graphics-on-windows-10

btw - update your windows to 20H2

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

@benman2785 wrote:

hi,

download THIS driver https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-non-gcn-16-2-1-beta
its the latest AMD driver for TeraScale-GPUs

now comes the tricky part
1. go to powerplan and change GPU to "optimized" or "maximum" performance (check both please)
2. switchable GPU is now handled by Windows (since 1 or 2 years in Win10) and not the driver
read: https://superuser.com/questions/1331917/how-to-force-amd-graphics-on-windows-10

btw - update your windows to 20H2

Hello Benman, I appreciate the response!

I have previously downloaded and successfully installed the driver at the given link. The "Switchable graphics" option is missing from the System section of the Radeon software (seen screenshots of it). Found it buried in preferences, but unlike in the videos I've watched, it opened up Catalyst's CC switchable graphics window. Am I supposed to have both Catalyst and AMD Radeon software installed?

1. I have tried changing power plan settings to maximum performance. Unfortunately, the discrete GPU still wont kick in. In fact, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (the only game I currently have installed) won't run unless I change back to one of the other options which align with battery and power saving (hence uses the IGPU). Will try the optimized option and provide feedback.

2. Checked the link. Answers suggest I disable the IGPU in Device manager or in BIOS/UEFI. As I mentioned initially, I have no such option in BIOS (planning to update BIOS soon), and disabling the IGPU in Device manager causes the PC to use the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, completely ignoring the discrete GPU. It's just as if I had only the integrated GPU present.

0 Likes

the switchable graphics is now in windows settings ;)

disable the ULPS for your dGPU

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Tried disabling ULPS using Registry editor. Searched for ULPS so I could edit its value but no results returned.

In the settings page of MSI Afterburner there's a checkbox to disable ULPS, but the checkbox clears itself each time I reopen the settings page, implying ULPS is still enabled.

0 Likes

Disabling ULPS does nothing. Read what I posted...you are not the only one over the years that posts this "problem".

0 Likes

I am well aware that this is a very common problem. Already spent weeks combing through multiple forums for posts on this issue, Googling, watching YouTube videos, trying many solutions that worked for others which unfortunately doesn't work for me. 

I have responded to your initial reply btw. Can't perform a BIOS update because laptop's battery is completely dead and the update can't be done running on AC power.

0 Likes

Usually,you can't update the bios,etc unless the laptop is plugged in. Using or even installing Afterburner is the cause of many issues.

All in all it doesn't matter...all of this is a waste of time. Either Install 8.1 or Win7 or get a new computer. The problem is the Intel graphics. End of story.

DISCRETE GPU FINALLY WORKING!!

For anyone out there who may be having the same or similar issue.

Following the advice of Kingfish, I downgraded from Windows 10 to 8.1 (ideally I was to revert to Windows 7 but I figured I take my chances with Windows 8.1). For the curious mind, what inspired my decision is the fact that Win8.1 is the most recent OS supported by a hardware related to the issue: the integrated card.

I then downloaded and installed a software called SW Update. I believe it's specifically for Samsung laptops but there may be an equivalent software for other brands. With this software, I was able to download drivers that exactly matches the laptop. Installed the drivers and restarted as required.

Went to AMD's Switchable graphics page and added a game (Ghost Recon: Future Soldier) to be ran on the high performance GPU. Previously, the game ran only on power-saving settings, hence automatically using the iGPU.

Fired it up and voila! The game was up and running at appreciable framerates. Problem solved!!

Want to use this opportunity to say thanks to all who responded, especially as it's a rather common and boring problem. Y'all so amazing!!

Game on Bro :smileyvery-happy:

The problem is your Intel graphics...HD3000 is not supported for Windows 10. Your choices are using the Windows update supplied by Windows. This will allow you to surf the web...but no high performance mode. Or, revert back to the OS the laptop was designed for.

Depending on your laptop...there may be a setting in the bios to disable the internal graphics and use the discrete graphics (AMD) exclusively. That way you would be able to use the AMD graphics but your battery life will go to zero quickly if using the laptop on battery. 

0 Likes

@kingfish wrote:

The problem is your Intel graphics...HD3000 is not supported for Windows 10. Your choices are using the Windows update supplied by Windows. This will allow you to surf the web...but no high performance mode. Or, revert back to the OS the laptop was designed for.

Depending on your laptop...there may be a setting in the bios to disable the internal graphics and use the discrete graphics (AMD) exclusively. That way you would be able to use the AMD graphics but your battery life will go to zero quickly if using the laptop on battery. 

Hi there Kingfish, thanks for taking time to respond!

One time I wanted to download a fresh copy of drivers for the Intel graphics from their official site. Noticed the latest supported OS for the driver I wanted is Windows 8.1. Thought I was on the wrong page but everything's clear now. By the way I downloaded that driver and it installed successfully, but didn't solve the problem.

The laptop shipped with Windows 7 Home Premium, though honestly it will be a pain to go that far back. Will I have any luck downgrading to Windows 8.1 instead (since it supports my Intel graphics), or my only option to get switchable graphics working is to revert to the stock Windows 7 OS?

I honestly wish I had the option. Wouldn't be a problem as I am never too far away from a power outlet. Will try a BIOS update and hopefully I'll have that option too.

Thanks!

0 Likes