cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

Raxis
Journeyman III

Stuttering on startup/games/everything Solution

I've noticed sometimes on startup, windows stutters/windows move slow etc, games perform horrible/crash etc

on the last 5 sets of drivers(possibly more), currently on 10.1 optional

after some quick investigation(by going to the UFO Screen ghosting test site) and checking actual FPS, turns out I'm locked to 15 fps...

ok check settings etc, install new driver, restart, problem gone, next day, start computer, its back

after a while, I work out it goes away by restarting after a cold boot, and it only appears sometimes after powering on from a shutdown.

Right, so we have a cold boot bug, now the question is, is it windows, or the gfx drivers?

Unknown, but I do know it has something to do with the way that windows and the drivers interact during a shutdown, in windows shutdown by default is actually a hibernation.

it makes a snapshot of the state of your system when it shuts down, and reloads it on boot up.

somethings not playing nice.

If you get this 15fps nightmare/stutter issue, and you can confirm it with the UFO ghosting test(the amd driver will show FPS much higher even tho its not) where as the UFO ghosting test tool website needs to match your framerate with your monitors refresh rate, and it cant do that if you are locked at 15fps

a restart(NOT SHUTDOWN BUTTON) will temp fix it

and turning off hibernation on shutdown will fix it

cmd.exe in admin mode ---- powercfg.exe /hibernate off

If I'm getting this issue, then theres no telling how many people are getting it, and have no idea whats going on or why, I see alot of stutter/fps lag posts and I wonder how many people are getting this issue.

Its not an issue that causes a crash so I can't report it via the AMD bug report tool. I am unsure of how to report it

0 Likes
0 Replies