Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Elaak
Journeyman III

Stability of GPU or corruption of GPU drivers

Hello,

I own a ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT PHANTOM GAMING and have been on and off having issues with the graphics unit and/or drivers. 

Just now it happened again. I was watching a movie file, and suddenly the screen goes black. The computer is still running, but after all while the movie appears to stop (or the runtime of the clip finished) as there is no more sound playing. 

I tried everything to check if the monitor cable was loose but after reconnecting it multiple times, nothing changed. In the end I forced the computer to shut down. As the computer restarted it appears the GPU drivers were corrupted or something. The screen resolution is dropped to 1024x768 pixels. As I look into Device manager it says that my GPU is deactivated (Code 22). 

I try to open "AMD Software: Adrenaline Edition" to check if there are some more information, but I get an error saying that Windows might have updated the drivers for the GPU and make it impossible to run the software. Saying I need to reinstall the drivers for it to work again. The problem however is my latest (windows) update was 3 weeks ago, and I have disabled windows from updating device drivers. I cannot understand what is the issue and how this happens maybe with a month or so in between, but seemingly random. I was not playing a game so not anything demanding. My PSU is 850W so there should be plenty of power.

Now that I try to reinstall the gpu drivers with amd software, I get the error "Error 207 – AMD Software Installation Completed Successfully but Windows Detected a Potential Issue with Your Graphics Device". I am worried the GPU has been broken or something. It is only like 4 months old. 

Thankful for any ideas on what to debug or what might be the problem.

0 Likes
0 Replies