cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

haniMalik
Journeyman III

Should I install AMD graphics drivers when system working fine on standard drivers

I just bought and installed a AMD Radeon R5 220 2GB graphics card in my HP EliteDesk 800 G1 TWR. I did nothing at all besides physically install the card and attach my second monitor (the reason I got the card). I have my first monitor plugged into the builtin Intel integrated graphics. The instructions that came with the card said that I need to install the Radeon Graphics Driver, but that my system will assign it a standard graphics driver when I first boot up. Both monitors are working just how I want then to work, but I am wondering whether or not to install the Radeon Graphics Driver because I don't want it to break the Intel Integrated graphics driver. My real question is: Should I install the Radeon Graphics Driver and will it break my Intel Graphics? My end goal is to be able to simply use two monitors. It may be important to note that I am a programmer and not a gamer. I am on Windows 10. URL

0 Likes
5 Replies

There has been no drivers from amd for your card since Jan.2016.

So, if it aint broke, use what's working. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
ThreeDee
Paragon

My end goal is to be able to simply use two monitors

You stated that everything is working how you want it to work ... soooo ... get back to work already and quite worrying about "drivers"!! lol

IF ..stuff stops working like you want it to work .. THEN .. start looking into ways to resolve whatever issue may have popped up

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
aliraza51
Journeyman III

Either allow Windows to update the video driver (it will), or use the HP Driver application to update the driver, but unless you are very sure of yourself, do not update the driver on your own. No need to do this in most cases... URL

0 Likes

So by your post you are using MS Basic Display Adapter or did Windows Update install a AMD Graphics driver when you first installed the new (Used) GPU card?

In Device Manager if it shows the MS Basic Display Adapter, which is Windows native graphic driver, then you can install the AMD Driver if you want better control of the graphics from your GPU card.

Installing the AMD Driver from 2015 or 2016 shouldn't affect your Intel Graphics. Plus you will have some options to play with to get better video output from the GPU card or make it compatible with some programs.

Also the AMD Driver enables OpenCL and OpenGL in your GPU card. Not sure if MS Basic Display driver does or not.

If there should be some sort of conflict or issues when you install the AMD Driver then you can use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) with Internet/Wifi disconnected and deleting AMD installation folder at C:\AMD  to remove all traces of the currently installed driver from your computer.

Then let Windows Update just install the last support AMD Driver for Windows 10 without any extras.

0 Likes

Here is the link to the last supported AMD Driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r5-series/amd-radeon-r5-200-series/amd-radeon-r5-...

Moderator when I added the above link to my edited Reply from my previous reply I got the HTML Error and was unable to post the edited reply:

Screenshot 2022-01-30 171510.png

0 Likes