cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Severe FPS Drops and stuttering when plugging second monitor in

Hello dear Community, 

i have a mysterious problem with my PC - in general GPU - everything works fine without any issues when i play games only with one monitor plugged in. But when i plug my second monitor in i get severe fps drops in all games that i play. ( BF V ) i get about 30% fps drop with constant stuttering and in league of legends i do not experience constant fps drops instead the game just stutters for a milisecond every 15 seconds or so. This issue happens only when i have both of my monitors plugged in. Both are 144hz monitors, one is LG Ultragear GN650-B and the second one is Benq Zowie XL11P.

I do not even have a slight idea why this is happening and i tried some basic stuff to fix it but it did not help. The issue persist even if i turn one of the monitors off. I need To take the DP Cable out for the issue to be fixed.

Both Monitors are connected to my RX 6800XT Graphics Card with Display Port Cables.

Please provide me some ideas or a certain fix so i can continue using both monitors at the same time.

My OS is Win 11 Pro 

20 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

Some things that  come in mind:

Is there a difference between which monitor you use (when you have only one connected)?
- if there is, try swapping cables to see if this does anything

The main thing I suspect is that this has something to do with variable refreshrate or freesync. I have no information about this, but it could be that freesync module is active even when monitor is turned of and 'talk' to GPU. Also have you checked if freesync is on on both monitors? I can turn it off in my monitor. Maybe you could try disabling it from both monitors and Radeon software to see if anything changes. One reason that comes to mind is, if those monitors have different freesync ranges, maybe freesync doesn't know what to do. In my example, freesync range of this monitor is 48 to 160 Hz:

MADZyren_0-1666807263382.png

With google, I found this article related to your issue. Though it is about Nvidia and between 60 and 144Hz monitors, you should probably try the same things.

EDIT(adding the link might be a good idea): https://www.windowsdigitals.com/game-stuttering-lag-dual-monitor/

0 Likes

Hello MadZyren,

as you suggested i tried switching the cables that the monitors were plugged in with, it did not help.

On both of my monitors the AMD Adrenaline says Freesync is not supported. But as i can vividly remember LG Ultragear is supposed to support Freesync?

Screenshot 2022-10-27 082956.pngScreenshot 2022-10-27 083038.png

0 Likes

Have you enabled it from monitors settings? I have an option inside monitor to set it on or off.

Then there are some settings which might prevent freesync from working in Radeon software (I think...), but if I recall right, some monitors refuse freesync if you... I think it was overclock the monitor or if you have ELBM activated (I think ELBM is Asus's own system, your monitor brand might have their own implementation... it can not be on with freesync or gsync and vice versa)

One thing could be cables. Are you sure they are cabable of running your Hz with resolution you use? I would also check monitors manual that they support freesync on all input ports or just one specific.

Also try one monitor at a time. If there are two monitors which are work too differently,maybe sync can not work(?)

0 Likes

Only one of my monitors supports Freesync , it is LG Ultragear, but the freesync option is turned off on it.

The second one does not support Freesync.

Should I turn on freesync and try playing games with it on to see if it helps?

Both My Monitors are 144hz with 1080p resolution,

I use the second Monitor which is Benq Zowie in portrait mode because i code on it ,  the first(main) monitor LG Ultragear is in landscape mode and both are set to 144hz refresh rate. 

0 Likes

Maybe it isn't available if you have both a freesync and a non-freesync monitor attached? Try keeping just one connected to see if it changes that.

You could try enabling freesync yes, but I somehow doubt that will fix the problem.

Most likely, optimally, you should have two identical monitors or something.

0 Likes

Can i please get a second opinion on this, i really need help with this one problem but do not know who to ask, i will try using Freesync but doubt it will help.

Freesync probably is not available because i turned it off manually in monitor settings so the monitor setting override driver settings.

Optimally i could buy another LG Ultragear Monitor but that is the last resort for me.

Is anybody experiencing same issues as me, when playing games with two monitors plugged?

0 Likes

If you search this site, there are many who have similar experiences, but different solutions

These are from different threads with search words STUTTER TWO MONITORS

1) "Type in disk cleanup select C then select clean up system files check "DirectX shader cache" run it. I had almost the same issue and that resolved it." 

2) "What seems to have stopped it now was turning off Radeon Enhanced Sync in the Adrenaline software as well as Frame Rate Target Control (which I rather liked so as not to have a video card pumping out 500 fps needlessly, but in rFactor 2 which I was testing I have a 144 cap in my player profile from the client side, so don't need it on the driver side -- I just worry about games that don't have such a cap). I also had my second monitor turned off, so I saw the comments here and turned it back on (it was always "on" in Windows; just not powered on), but still no stuttering just now even with the monitor on. So... fingers crossed."

3) "That was until today. Today I noticed in this post 'Discord' came up and turning the hardware acceleration off, as soon as I did this the stutter vanished. I was running out of hair to pull out so thank you kindly for this fix. "

4) "I have had my Asus RX 6700 XT for around 7 months and haven't had any real problems, I did have stutter and just removed Asus GPU Tweak which stopped it. Some monitoring software can play havoc with Adrenaline.."

5) "Tried several times DDU and a lot of different drivers, tried to reset BIOS to default, but nothing seems to work, until today, because i managed to fix this by just disabling SAM in bios settings, log into windows, and discovered that all problems were gone. In a second time i rebooted my system, renabled SAM in BIOS, and all games still going well, with constant 99% GPU usage and zero issues."

6) "For nvidia gpu there is an easy fix:

nvidia control panel > desktop size and position > set scaling on all monitors to "GPU" instead of "monitor"

i wonder if there is similar fix for amd for the future of navi"

If someone else has good ideas or one solution to rule them all, I'm sure many would appreciate.

0 Likes

I am going to highlight the point that i did i observe my sistem with two monitors plugged in for the next three or four days to see if the points helped or not.

1) I have cleared DirectX shader cache about 15MB

2) Wait for Vertical Refresh ,Enchanced Sync and FPS Target Control were already set to disabled and off on my computer

3) The Hardware Acceleration Discord option was On on my system so i turned it OFF.

4) I uninstalled LG Onscreen software for Monitor settings.

5)  I have not tried this but i will and will update you.

6) sadly i have amd gpu 

Thank You MadZyren for taking your time to help me find a solution

I tried all the options and sadly the issue still persist.

for the point 6) i turned gpu scalling on still did nothing to reduce or fix fps stuttering

0 Likes

Try using these AMD instructions to create AMD Eyefinity group:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-014 

If that doesn't work:

As I don't know your CPU, you did connect both monitors to discrete GPU and neither to video outputs of motherboard?

Then only thing I can think of is unplug the other monitor when gaming for now.

0 Likes

My Cpu is i5 12600kf , without integrated graphics card and both of my monitors are plugged into my GPU directly 

0 Likes

I've had the same problem numerous times with both Nvidia & AMD GPU's and in my case 100% of the time it was always caused by SOME application, running on the second monitor, whether or not it was minimized, that was using hardware acceleration, which is enabled by default in a lot of programs & has to be turned off manually (assuming the option exists, some programs don't let you). both Chrome & Edge (probably firefox too) run with HW accel enabled by default. Media players also do sometimes. Even text editors, such as VS Code will run with HW accel on & use GPU for rendering. Whether or not the program is maximized, windowed, or minimized, just having it open or running in the taskbar for some reason has always inadvertently caused GPU consumption, even while minimial, that was enough to introduce major stuttering & FPS drop. Go through your task manager & close or force quit every single non-essential program AND service that you can find to rule that out. Even windows 10/11 apps, a great deal of them, will use the GPU & introduce additional timing delays or stuttering on a second monitor.

Check to make sure refresh rate is the same on both monitors. Also another easy one to miss is DPI scaling, set both monitors to 100% only & try again.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck 

I wonder if this riddle could be solved by moving all the running programs to same monitor game is running and then, one by one, back to the other one and see when problem presents itself.

0 Likes

I tried this one , i turned litterally everything possible off, and played some BF V , still some stutters , funny thing is when my pc stutters my RGB mouse flickers for a milisecond and my sound on my headphones buzzes for a split second too. I updated my Bios to f20b , i set my pcie to gen 3 instead of gen 4 and turned SAM off , to test if it helps , sadly not .

0 Likes

Maybe it is a windows problem? should i reinstall my windows to windows 10 i currently use win 11

0 Likes

ok i just right now decided to reinstall windows to windows 10 so i will update you all after a day or two of testing 

0 Likes

If problems goes away, you could try enabling memory integrity under core isolation. In Win11 this is on by default and off in Win10. Requires SVM (virtualization) to be enabled in BIOS. If this is the thing, then... I think you could disable in in Win11 too.

0 Likes

Good news,all fixed i reinstalled windows , downgraded to win 10 pro , everything seems to function properly, one thing i noticed is that i am not allowed to set my second monitor that is on Portrait mode to 144hz instead it is set to 59Hz. The option to set it to 144hz does not even exist in display settings. i will provide screenshots2.PNGCapture.PNG

0 Likes

I'm having the exact same issue. 

I have a lot of parts just laying around. Changed mobo gpu ram cables monitors 

Only thing not changed is the cpu and ssd. I have completely wiped the ssd and reinstalled windows. I only watch discord streams while I'm gaming and it works completely fine until I start trying to watch video on the 2nd monitor. All hardware acceleration is off that I can find. Just unplugging the 2nd monitor and the system goes back to normal

I'm going to install windows to a different ssd and see if that helps.

I changed from 6800xt to 6900xt. I have 3070 i haven't tried yet too. 

0 Likes

This is a known problem in the community, It's actually due to a DirectX Kernel that make high spike latency on the computer...Nothing can be done to undo that..just wait for AMD to fix it..turn off your second monitor while gaming or get another low cost gpu to run second screen on it.

This is annoying because in my case It make my audio pop/crackles or even crash sometimes.

0 Likes