cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Poksomanbiko
Adept II

Searching for that one AMD GPU...

Currently on the lookout for a nice (and fair priced) legit AMD GPU.

Having a bit of trouble with choosing the right one and can't give a 100% opinion on any of them...

I then thought that the community might be able to fill in those gaps sooooo, suggestions anyone

(serious answers only please)

~ Ari the somewhat Intelligent Tinkerer
1 Solution

(Edit: AMD's website really doesn't like links does it? Well besides that, copy paste AMD's shortened version of my link, and put "on.pdf" or just fix it yourself if you get something different than "file:///C:/Users/lunaj/Downloads/SLS%20Project%20Saturn%20Parts%20and%20Prices%20sheet%20documentati")

Apologies for not responding earlier (I was making pancakes lmao);

Here is the link in full: file:///C:/Users/lunaj/Downloads/SLS%20Project%20Saturn%20Parts%20and%20Prices%20sheet%20documentati... 
I'm afraid that issue was AMDs fault for the link not working by the way, as I inputted it 3 times already and it didn't work too... however copy and pasting this one should work if it doesn't here.

All previous sayings apply here as well. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Price range?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Max price I'm going for for the GPU is about $800(USD).

That would put you around the RX 6700 XT, RX 6800 or RX 6800 XT. The RX 6700 XT has 12GB of GDDR6 video memory, and competes with the RTX 3070 and RTX 3060ti by Nvidia. The RX 6800 and RX 6800 XT boast 16GB of GDDR6 video memory and compete with the RTX 3070 and RTX 3080. Both the RX 6700 XT and RX 6800 series can handle high refresh rate gaming when paired with an adequate CPU. For higher resolution and fidelity I would go with the RX 6800 XT. I am biased having a RX 6800 XT myself. I can max out nearly any game I have played at 1080p and get more than 100FPS with my current hardware. I also have a Ryzen 7 3700X 8 core 16 thread CPU that I run stock. I don't have a high resolution display to test out 1440p and 4k since I usually prefer a higher frame rate instead of higher resolutions. The cards I mentioned are still over MSRP but not so much that I would feel bad about my purchase. I spent double the MSRP on my RX 6800 XT and dont regret it. 

There are other options however that I didn't mention like the RX 6600 but these are built for PCIe 4.0 and lose performance when paired with PCIe 3.0 systems comparing to performance in PCIe 4.0 systems. 

I have also seen some listings of the RX 6900 XT that were within the $900 to $1000 price range which is the actual MSRP of that card. The RX 6900 XT outperforms the RX 6800 XT and is comparable to the RTX 3080Ti and RTX 3090 if you do not plan to turn on ray tracing. 

Currently ray tracing on AMD cards in most titles lowers frame rate considerably. FSR could help but still has a long way to go to be able to compete with Nvidia's DLSS.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

@cpurpe91 
I am very much aware that the Radeon RX 6000 series fits quite snug in my approximate price range, as I plan to make an AM4 CPU based build including a AMD Ryzen 5950X when prices lower a bit for slightly older hardware sometime in a few months. I greatly appreciate your stand-point opinion regarding the Radeon RX 6800XT (I was actually asking for a bias opinion, believe it or not). Also on the topic of Nvidia I find that AMD offers genuinely cheaper prices for even (sometimes) better performance, talking about benchmarks of course. But as I do plan to actually use my select GPU for beginning engineering and modeling along with Code and so-fourth for the communities that I partake in, I find myself always stuck in a loop looking for better or occasionally worse parts for planning on future tinkering builds...

I was never one to particularly be able to enjoy ULTRA GRAPHICS and the like, and ended up liking what most would say "old graphics" as I would see it as "Way a-lot of effort". Quite a few close buddies of mine go Nuts over things like raytracing, which I can agree looks absurdly good but... from a non-biased stand-point... Is it always the best? 

Realistically.

Well besides me rambling on how I manage to just squeak-by discord calls day-to-day, I can firmly agree that the Radeon RX 6000 series is probably the safest path to take on my journey to find that True "Jack-Of-All-Trades" PC.

6700XT is best bang for your buck, good sir.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/graphics-card-prices-fall-best-current-gpu-deals

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...

@lowteck 
You my friend, just saved me from a really stupid scam for just saying that.

Absolute chad right here folks;

I think I'm going to go for a Speedster for better performance at very slightly cheaper price to be honest.

Spoiler
Still hate scalpers and miners...

One of the most important factors in choosing a GPU Card is the PSU you have installed.

Will it be powerful enough to run your PC with the new GPU Card installed?

If you have a 750 watt or higher PSU that should be enough for most of the newest AMD GPU cards to run without power issues.

Because my other chosen parts (spec sheet coming soon) originally used like 789 watts of power, which sounds absurd, but it is what it is I guess.

But now that I have chosen a ACTUAL GPU, my build should now theoretically pull around 686 watts of total power. Therefore, I'm sticking with a Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (long I know) for the meantime.

After some "re-calibrations", I will post a google document listing my entire specs in approximately about a day for everyone to view whilst we wait then.

0 Likes

Your Corsair 1200 Watt PSU will be strong enough for 2 GPUs.

You shouldn't have a power issue with that PSU. I myself is a fan of Corsair PSUs.

I do in fact plan to have another (same) GPU awhile in the future for whatever I might then need it for, I do basic engineering and 3d modeling and what-not, so I have been further researching for over 8 months for PC PCIe x USB along with searching for other people, like my close Discord buddies.

I am no Newbie to technological anything, I have essentially the skills of a lower tier IT manager... but that's not what we're talking about. I've worked with Raspberry PIs in the past and used python for everything, I obviously don't use my old cluster anymore, due to it being used for a literal lighting fixture...

But the PSU will be inputted in to a UPS for safety and lifetime, another unrelated project I'm planning is a custom built router using my current PC as a repeater for the rest of my family to use as well. Back onto the topic of multiple GPUs and the planned PSU, I'm most likely going to stick with the estimated budget (per part) for the same thing (the XFX Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Speedster QICK 319 BLACK Video Card), I REALLY don't want this PC to die after extended use for reasons so long it would take a week to fully explain...

However, if you might not understand a few terms I used, please wait until I publicize the Spec document sometime today, which will most likely solve all of your questions.

0 Likes

I went to this PSU-GPU website that lists all the Minimum PSU wattage needed to run your PC with a variety of AMD and Nvidia GPU cards and your 1200 Watt PSU is above the minimum for Cross Fire (2 GPUS) for the 6800XT (1000 watt PSU) and 6900XT (1100 Watt PSU).

So you will have no power issues with 2 6700XT GPUs installed.

I imagine you are aware that some Professional programs are optimized for Nvidia GPUs (Cudas) while others are for AMD GPUs or some are for both. Even though just about all can use both AMD or Nvidia GPU cards to run their programs.

If you are planning on running Engineering and 3D Modeling and Rendering you might want to consider a AMD Professional GPU card which are generally made for Work station PCs.  But they are not cheap. But they are not optimized for playing games though if that is one of the main reasons for getting a GPU card.

Many Professional Programs mentions Professional AMD or NVidia GPU cards as "Recommended" GPUs.

Poksomanbiko
Adept II

Finally created the full Parts and Pricing document for publicized viewing!

If you had any questions or even further recommendations regarding the document, please refer to commenting (or @ing) this comment. You may redistribute the .pdf in its original state (aka, the one posted here).

file:///C:/Users/Downloads/SLS%20Project%20Saturn%20spec%20sheet%20documentation.pdf

0 Likes

No link to download PDF nor if link copied nothing shows up.

(Edit: AMD's website really doesn't like links does it? Well besides that, copy paste AMD's shortened version of my link, and put "on.pdf" or just fix it yourself if you get something different than "file:///C:/Users/lunaj/Downloads/SLS%20Project%20Saturn%20Parts%20and%20Prices%20sheet%20documentati")

Apologies for not responding earlier (I was making pancakes lmao);

Here is the link in full: file:///C:/Users/lunaj/Downloads/SLS%20Project%20Saturn%20Parts%20and%20Prices%20sheet%20documentati... 
I'm afraid that issue was AMDs fault for the link not working by the way, as I inputted it 3 times already and it didn't work too... however copy and pasting this one should work if it doesn't here.

All previous sayings apply here as well. 

0 Likes