cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

gillesja419
Journeyman III

Sapphire RX 590 sudden performance drop

I have this problem, I was playing one game and switched to another and suddenly i experienced terrible FPS drops down into the teens.  At this point the VGA light came on on the motherboard.  I reset the drivers, closed all programs, restarted the system, shutdown and rebooted the system and finally swapped to an older GPU i had laying around (HD 7870).  The new gpu, after reinstalling the drivers, didnt have the FPS issues the RX 590 did and the VGA light went out on the motherboard, however, it has a hard time keeping up FPS wise and for whatever reason wouldnt allow me to have more than 2 monitors displaying at the same time (i have 3 24" dell monitors that run as one on eyefinity normally)  So after about 3 days running that way i decided to try the 590 again and upon booting and logging into windows the VGA light didnt come on this time but in Warframe on the lowest res setting im averageing 20 fps +/- 8 and its nigh on unplayable.  With just a live wallpaper on the desktop im showing 90-100% gpu utilization.  Can anyone help? Did you find an answer for your issue?

AMD Ryzen 3600

Asus ROG Strix B550f-wifi

GSkill DDR4-3333c16q2 4x 16GB  64GB total

Western Digital 500GB NVME WDBRPG5000ANC-WRSN

Sapphire RX 590 Nitro anniversary edition gold

Sound Blaster Z

Gigabyte 750w 80+ gold P750GM

Lian Li Mesh Cool Case

0 Likes
2 Replies

At a guess i would say the wallpaper is using hardware acceleration, so stealing gpu resources. Turn it off and see what happens.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

You said you reinstalled drivers when putting the old card in. Did you remove those drivers with DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility before reinstalling the new card, then install drivers for the new card?

If so, are you on the same driver as before?

Did you previously apply any overclock or settings tweak in your software or BIOS?

Does the card have one or two PCIE power slots? If two, are both plugged firmly into power on the card and your PSU?

Did the game itself do any kind of auto detect of the card and apply a different default setting that you had previously changed manually?

Were there any Windows updates that installed in the interim?

Did the game update to a newer version that may have affected performance? Check their forums and see if there are any other users with the same or similar card complaining.

0 Likes