Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

user2023
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 5600h and RX 6600m drop power from 113 watts to 90

I'm a user of the HP Omen 16 with the Ryzen 5 5600H and the RX 6600M

This laptop has a common TDP pool for both the CPU and the GPU

On a balanced mode it's a 113 watts as a long boost for the two chips (135 on a performance) 

But I've noticed that I'm only getting stable 90 watts

If I play game or run benchmark the 113 watts would drop down to only 90

user2023_1-1684277927229.png

user2023_3-1684277976897.png

user2023_4-1684278003215.png

As far as I understand the long boost values should be kept as long as the system is under heavy stable load.

Why my power drops everytime after a couple of minutes?

I have latest Omen Gaming Hub (with SDK from an HP site) and the most recent AMD drivers

0 Likes
9 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

You may want to see what HP has to say about this. They would more than likely be more helpful. 

Did this start after a driver update, or has this been a problem since before driver updates? 

You say changing power profiles in the software has no effect? Have you tried looking into thermal monitoring software, like HWinfo64, to check if something along the lines of VRM are overheating and throttling the power to the CPU and GPU?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
user2023
Journeyman III

Hi

Thank you for your participation

I'm not quit sure when it all started 

I've become aware of what all this stuff like TDP mean only recently. But on a few old screenshots I see the full TDP is present. But they could be taken only in a minute or so of gaming, where power is still full

A few days ago I've completely repasted the laptop, I put 10g of Laird Tputty on the VRM and VRAM. VRM doesn't have temperatures measurments and I doubt that it can register any thermal throttling on it, VRAM on the other hand has it and it become quit cooler, so I put a good ammount of putty i assume 

Changing power profiles has effect. If I use balanced mode, I have nominal power of the PL1-112 PL2-135 (on screenshot above from HWinfo), I'm getting a fast leap to 135, then a couple of mins on 112, then it drops to 90 watts, and this particular value is completely not conditioned by my bios or software. If I use performance mode, I'll get the PL1 around 130 watts and the PL2 (fast leap) of 160. At this regime now 130 watts after a couple of minutes would drop to 113!! Like the PL1 of  the previous regime! 

I've tried the newest AMD driver and HP software and the older ones

0 Likes
davidoliver
Journeyman III

If you are experiencing a drop in power from 113 watts to 90 watts on your Ryzen 5 5600H processor and RX 6600M graphics card, there could be a few reasons for this behavior. Here are some possible explanations:

1. Power limit throttling: Your laptop or system may have a power limit set in the BIOS or power management settings. This limit is in place to prevent overheating or to optimize power consumption. When the system reaches this limit, it may reduce the power consumption of the CPU and GPU, resulting in lower performance. You can check your system's power management settings or BIOS to see if there are any power limit options that can be adjusted.

2. Temperature-based throttling: High temperatures can trigger thermal throttling, causing the CPU and GPU to reduce their power usage to prevent overheating. Ensure that your laptop's cooling system is functioning properly, and consider cleaning any dust buildup that may be affecting heat dissipation. Using a cooling pad or adjusting fan settings can also help maintain lower temperatures.

3. Software or driver issues: Outdated or incompatible drivers, BIOS, or software can sometimes lead to performance issues and power limitations. Make sure you have the latest drivers and BIOS updates installed for your CPU and GPU. Additionally, check for any software or background processes that may be affecting performance and power management.

4. Power profile settings: Check your power profile settings in your operating system. Some power profiles may limit the CPU and GPU performance to conserve power. Adjusting the power profile to a higher-performance mode can help maximize power and performance.

5. Power adapter limitations: If you are using a power adapter that does not provide sufficient power output, it may result in power limitations and reduced performance. Ensure that you are using the appropriate power adapter recommended by your laptop manufacturer.

0 Likes
user2023
Journeyman III

I don't think there's a thermal reason for this. I've recently changed thermal paste to the phase changing Honeywell on the both chips

This is how my power drop looks like visually

user2023_0-1684315524735.png

user2023_1-1684315535711.png

PL-2 =135 , then PL - 1 =113, then 90 (no PL likie this exists in the system)

0 Likes
user2023
Journeyman III

user2023_0-1684360847959.png

Situation at 90 watts

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Have you tried reverting to the OEM drivers and settings?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

Yes, I tried using old oem drivers but it wasn't successfull

I've found out that the metric of "APU STAPM Limit" causes the issue

For the first minutes this metric is the same as the CPU SLOW PPT (100% = 100%)

But after a couple of minutes it starts to lower itself to the point where I only run on 90 watts on the balanced regime (100% = 80% (for the SLOW PTT Limit)

Does APU STAPM Limit mean the same as CPU skin temp? (stapm = skin temp?)

If it is, It can mean something is overheating, though I've applied a freash tputty...

If it itsn't, then it is a software problem, I guess

0 Likes

p. s. if I run balanced mode stress-test with the fans set on maximum, i'm getting not 90 watts out of 113, but around 108. Thou the CPU itself isn't being overheated at any scenario.

0 Likes
user2023
Journeyman III

It's crazy how I've come closer to resolve the issue

My laptop was slightly lifted up for a better airflow

When I put laptop down on the performance mode laptop was able to maintain 132 watt under the whole stress test

But on the balanced mode it kept not previous 90 watts but something around 97 watts

And the APU STAPM limit on the Performance mode was well under the 80% (with 137 watts) and on the balanced 97 watts kept APU STAPM at 100% 
0 Likes