Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

kmako
Journeyman III

RX580 fans not turning on + suspicious driver behavior

Hi team,

First post here so please feel free to ask additional info if I'm missing something.

I have an XFX RX580 dual fan model that is currently having weird fan behavior. I have done several steps to try to fixing this and at this point I'm lost. I sent an email to XFX and they simply ignored me. Won't answer calls either.

My system specs:

i7-4771

16GB RAM

XFX RX580 8gb 

Asus Maximux Hero VII

Windows 10 ver 20H2 (build 19042)

Basic problem: sometimes fans spin, sometimes they don't. Fan1 (closer to ports) works most of the time, Fan2 barely ever spins.

Let's get some things out of the way first:

1) this is not a problem where temps are too low to have the fans spinning. I have stressed test the fans and when they don't want to spin. Lately, Fan2 does not even have red RGB light turned on (fan1 does have RGB light turned on).

2) i have opened the cooling device, changed thermal paste, cleaned the fans manually and reconnected all fan related connectors.

3) i tried my video card in another PC and both fans did not spin at startup.

Current state of problem:

At this point I was started to accept that the fan hardware was the problem.

After cleaning the card and closing everything back up I reinstalled the card and was not able to boot up windows. I started PC in safe mode deleted AMD drivers with DDU. Then I restarted and reinstalled latest drivers with AMD Adrenalin software. Somehow, Adrenalin was not opening BUT driver worked like a charm.  Weirdly enough I wanted to stress test the card to check if the fans were working with high temps but Adrenalin refused to open. My problem now became how to open Adrenalin. After several reinstalls and following some guidance from some forum questions I followed these steps:

a) uninstall the driver from Device manager

b) uninstall Adrenalin from "add or remove programs"

c) delete "AMD" folder in C drive

d) reboot PC in safe mode and run DDU

e) reinstall Adrenalin and latest driver

After doing this it still did not work. At this point I was obviously starting to grow desperate. I found this great post discussing Adrenalin not opening.

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-radeon-software-not-launching/td-p/166136/page/8

I followed the stop of going to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\AMD and deleted the CN folder. I immediately opened the Adrenalin and TADA!!!!  BOTH FANS WERE WORKING. Adrenalin still won't open. I tested the card for about 2 hours of gaming and they worked like a charm.

This morning I restarted the PC. Both fans spun at startup. 5 minutes later, FAN2 RGB turns off and stops spinning.

This indicates me that 1) fans do work, 2) this is likely a software problem.

Any thoughts?

kmako_0-1636382437155.png

kmako_1-1636382471737.png

1 Reply
mistypsia
Journeyman III

I've noticed a very similiar issue with mine. On start-up the all the fans start/spin. After a few seconds the two fans for the RX580 stop spinning. I find this very disconcerting- especially as I game anywhere from 6-12 hrs each day; the fans never turn on. 

Does anyone know how to rectify this please?

Thanks!

0 Likes