cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

SkinnyP039
Adept I

RX580 artifacting issues (only on videos)

Hi, my graphics card (MSI armor rx580 8gb) has an artifacting issue but only artifacts when watching videos using the VP8/9 video codec. This happens on netflix, youtube or even when watching certain videos on my desktop (Metro exodus intro screen before the menu has this artifacting problem).
it only artifacts while watching videos and not under load, I can watch the videos while the card is under load and it works fine or I can play any of my games and have no issues whatsoever. 
I've tried reinstalling the drivers (both with DDU and without) 
I've tried reverting back to drivers where I didnt have this issue and that doesnt work
I've tried enabling and disabling hardware acceleration 
My friend has an identical computer to me and does not have this issue (same brand and model all components aside from case)
I've tried a different card (R9 380) and the issue still persists
I've tried using only one monitor instead of my two monitor set up
I've tried using different PCI-E slots on my motherboard
I've tried moving my ram to different slots
I've tried using different outputs on my card

I've tried everything I can think of and nothing has worked, everything I have tried has either made no difference or solved my issue temporarily (the longest time being disabling freesync on my monitor and that only lasted 5 minutes before it started up again)

My system is:
Ryzen 5 3600
ASUS B450F motherboard
16gb 3000mhz hyper x ram
MSI Armor rx580 8gb
Corsair cx550 power supply

0 Likes
12 Replies
SkinnyP039
Adept I

Just wanting to add, the h264ify browser extension that forces youtube to use h264 codec solves this problem but this only works on YouTube and I'd like to find a permanent solution to this problem or a way of implementing this fix system wide

0 Likes

For info only. RX580 doesn't support hardware acceleration for VP8 and VP9. it implemented in Vega and newer GPU's.

Make a screenshot of that artifact and post it here. If you can't see artifact on screenshot(use another PC or smartphone to check) then it is something else.

I cant post a screenshot right now as I'm away but it looks exactly like this but green, it does show on screenshots I'm just not home right now.

SkinnyP039_0-1633993410583.png

I know it's a software problem and not hardware but I've tried everything, reinstalling windows updated bios and chipset drivers and graphics drivers 

The only solution I've found is the h264ify extension but that only works on YouTube 

0 Likes

Try ubuntu stick to watch video.

If it is software problem then you will get clean video without artifacts for about 1h.

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

To create usb stick use rufus.

https://rufus.ie/en/

You don't need to install anything just run and do testing.

For me it look like memory corruption.

Here are screenshots of my pc doing the artifacting if it was memory corruption is there any way I could test that aside from getting some more DDR4?

SkinnyP039_0-1634060959228.png

SkinnyP039_1-1634060968361.png

This next screenshot is taken from windows display settings to show that it isnt limited to just browsers and is clearly a system wide issue

SkinnyP039_2-1634061020330.png

0 Likes

You can test your GPU within friends PC. Before I said about GPU memory corruption not DDR4 ram.

If it corrupted you can find out what chip working bad, but you can't replace it by yourself.

Use English subtitles.

https://youtu.be/x7FA2kU_xR8

Just reminding do not download from some random websites. Always check if it safe.

0 Likes

I would assume that since I've tried using a known good card in my machine and still had the problem then the problem isnt the card, I can test my card in another machine tomorrow and update here whether the problem still happens in th eother machine

0 Likes

Did you tried to run youtube or netflix with Ubuntu live usb stick? If you try it you can check if it is really software problem.

Same problems can be seen if your PSU/GPU chip/GPU memory failing. I personally seen artifacts when attached bad HDMI cable, but it does not reproduced in screenshots.

Test your PSU/GPU under full load and idle mode. If you see some fast and high fluctuation of voltages in most values I recommend you to replace PSU.

Table with acceptable values:

Nominal voltageDeltaMinimum voltageMaximum voltage
+3,3VDC± 5%+3,135 V+3,465 V
+5VDC± 5%+4,750 V+5,250 V
+5VSB± 5%+4,750 V+5,250 V
-5VDC (if used)± 10%-4,500 V-5,500 V
+12VDC± 5%+11.400 V+12.600ВV
-12VDC± 10%-10.800 V-13.200 V

To do somewhat precise log with voltages and temperatures you can use HW info.

https://www.hwinfo.com/

For full GPU load you can use Furmark.

https://geeks3d.com/furmark/

0 Likes

Using HWinfo at idle I get thees voltages:

SkinnyP039_0-1634116709154.png

And I get these voltages with Furmark running:

SkinnyP039_1-1634116817150.png

According to HWinfo my 12v is massively out of spec but according to bios the voltages are:

12v: 11.902v

5v: 4.986v

3.3v: 3.335v

Will test with the ubunti usb now

0 Likes

I've just tried an ubuntu usb and the problem is still there although its nowhere near as bad as it is on windows and also the artifacts look different

Sorry for bad picture but I had to edit to get it under 3mb and the original picture was in 4k so big file

SkinnyP039_5-1634121899925.png

They look like this now and vary from being all over the video to just on certain parts of the screen, they also dont happen every time so if i see them and then rewind they may not be there when i watch it again

0 Likes

I recommend you to take your PC to service center for repair. Now that we know it is not software problem.

0 Likes