Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

fiveseventy
Journeyman III

RX570 dies, or does it?

Hello all,
I have a Sapphire Radeon RX 570 Pulse ITX 4GB (single fan) which I have used without issue for many years.

It was unused for a few months and when I returned to it the card worked first time, but then after shutting down and booting again the card appeared to have died.
Its fan wouldn't spin. I'd see nothing but a black screen.
Windows would boot fine, and I could RDP in to confirm that and also to confirm that the GPU was not listed in device manager (not even as unknown), or detected by GPU-Z.

Interestingly, without changing anything, the card would magically work again after some time powered down.
I'd boot up with no issue, run some benchmarks, game a little...everything would appear to be perfect,
but then it wouldn't survive a reboot, going back to the previous dead state for X hours or days.

Sometimes it would last multiple shutdown/boot up cycles and other times just one.

I feel I've ruled out multiple things.

It's not overheating - It's very clean and runs cool.

It's not the power cable to the GPU, or power supply - All confirmed working fine with other more taxing cards.

It's not as simple as "only works when it's cold" or "only works when it's warmed up" - it's not that consistent.

I considered self-healing fuses but, then, sometimes it took days before it came back to life and other times just minutes,

and then there's the question of 'what would cause excessive current draw but only sometimes?'.

Today I've determined that any time the card fails I can revive it by unplugging power, removing it from the slot,
and holding my thumb to the solder points for the 6 pin power connector for a few seconds.

After doing that the card will work again the vast majority of the time.

Could that suggest that something is holding charge and shouldn't be?
I'm manually grounding/draining something?

I'd be very grateful to hear any thoughts on it!
Thanks for reading, if you got this far.

Note - This post has been heavily edited due to new information.

0 Likes
1 Reply
fiveseventy
Journeyman III

I've edited the original post in light of new information.

0 Likes