Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

torkema61
Journeyman III

RX 7800XT high power consumption while idle

Hello everyone,

I bought a Powercolor Red Devil RX 7800XT GPU two weeks ago. Overall, I have no issues, but the GPU's power consumption is around 70W when the system is idle. During this time, GPU usage is around 3% and there are no applications running in the background except for the AMD Adrenalin Software. All my settings are at default, and my BIOS and all other drivers are up to date. Could you help me with this issue?

Processor: Ryzen 5600

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz 4x8GB (XMP: on)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 rev 1.2

GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 7800XT

PSU: FSP Hydro GT Pro 850W ATX 3.0 

SSD: WD SN850 HS 500GB PCIe 4.0

SSD2: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB SATA3

HDD: WD Blue 1TB

0 Likes
4 Replies
FunkZ
Exemplar

Do you have multiple monitors? What is the resolution and refresh rate?

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

No multiple monitors, and i have 2K monitor. 

When I change the GPU setting from default to silent mode in the AMD Adrenalin program, it improves, but then it increases again.

0 Likes

So where other users have reported high power consumption is typically when multiple monitors are involved and high refresh rates. You state you have a 2K monitor but don't mention the refresh rate, you also don't mention what Adrenalin version you're using.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
lanzelloth
Journeyman III

this is a known issue or just plain bad design from the beginning, people around here might try to gaslight you, but you should typically be looking at 5-15W, whatever refresh rate will not cause 300-600% discrepancy

duck amd, looks like any amount of money you think you're even saving by giving up rt, nvenc, better stability, not having new problems after new udpates, is actually gonna cost you more in the long run. after over a decade I'm exclusively done with amd

0 Likes