cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Smeezor
Journeyman III

RX 7800 XT Crash to Black

As many others, I recently bought a RX 7800 XT and it has been crashing regularly to a black screen that requires a hard reset before the system can be used again.

The crash seems to be random, but I have managed to find a point where it is reproducible: Baldurs Gate 3, rescuing Gale from the unstable sigil near the start of the game. It crashes everytime.

This is worrisome, but it is also helpful because it means that I can exclude heat issues (which are unlikely given the actual temperatures anyway).

CPU: AMD 5600X

PSU: 750WATT

MB: GIGABYTE AORUS B550M ELITE

GPU: POWERCOLOR RX 7800 XT

....what else is relevant?

So, AMD, I've been a loyal customer ever since I bought my first K6 back in the day. Are you going to fix this?

1 Solution
Smeezor
Journeyman III

Hey all! An update for you:

So I followed my gut feeling and upgraded my PSU to a Corsair 1000w and it now works, stable and fast.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Ani061me15
Journeyman III

Hello,

I have a very Similiar Problem my GPU crashes every time i play a somewhat demanding Game 
I even made a GPU Test on FurMark and it crashed seconds after i started the Test.

My Hardware:

Gpu: ASRock Radeon RX 7800 XT Phantom Gaming
Cpu: 7600x
PSU: 850 Watt
MB: ASUS TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI
AIO: NZXT K.ken 360

Same issue here. It. doesn’t seem to be tied to demanding games for me. I ve had it happen in Rocket Leagues aswell as Tft. Also most of the times it happens when I launch a game. As soon as I get the game running, it stays stable. Only had one single crash ingame so far.

3 napos tesztelés FHD Ultra setting Cyberpunk 2077, minden rendben. Nem indul újra, és nem fekete képernyő. 3-5 órás játék becam stabil. Amd szoftver: adrenalin teljesítmény, hangolás ... maximális frekvenciabeállítás 95%, és teljesítménykorlát + 15%. És az AMD intelligens hozzáférésű memóriája le van tiltva. jó játék mindenkinek.

Config: 

Msi b450 A Pro Max 

Ryzen 9 5900x

32 Gb G.skill 3000mhz Ram

Sapphire pulzus 7800xt

Psu: Chieftec 700watt 80 + arany

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

What make/model 750wtt power supply?

Are you running any cable extenders INSIDE your case?

Are you running separate cables from your power supply to each power input on your GPU?

Are you overclocking anything?

How are your CPU/GPU temps? What case make/model?

Is your motherboard's BIOS up to date?

Do you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com website?

ThreeDee PC specs

the creator of this thread seems to have solved his issue, but i am also having the same issue here with 7800XT, so i would like to see if there is anything that can help solve my issue 

Currently my system has 

CPU Ryzen 7900x

GPU ASRock Radeon RX 7800 XT challenger 

Motherboard MSI MPGB650i edge wifi 

PSU: Corsair SF-L SF850L

Running two 2K resolution 60FPS screens at the moment, and i am using 2 separate cables from power supply for the GPU, with 2 140mm fans and 2 80mm fans along with the noctua tower cooler 

The games i am having trouble with the black screen are 
Holdfast Nations at War -> the black screen comes up randomly, sometimes i can run the game for a few hours, sometimes it will only last one hour before it goes black screen and reboot 

Dishonest 2 -> this has happened only once when i was trying to switch to another screen while the game is loading in 

I just run Furmark in 2K settings for an hour and there's no black screen issue and the overall temps of the GPU was kept at 71 C and CPU was at 68C. Not sure what is causing the issue here, built this PC only for 3 weeks. 

0 Likes

ThreeDee  

I tried everything I could find online. Under volt, set boost speed, reinstall windows, flash new bios etc. to no avail until you posted this ( Are you running any cable extenders INSIDE your case?) perfect solution for me it seemed like the extenders couldn't handle the power draw. Thanks for the tip brother 

0 Likes

Hello,

Running separate cables from my power supply to each power input on my GPU will fix the problem? , cause i've running my GPU with one cable da that 2 inputs for the GPU, but what i find weird, is that in the stress test, with the Adrenaline software and some others, my GPU achieve 270/290w without problem, and have stable fps without reboot in games like WT, but when i play for example DCS world, my pc restart one or twice (for now) and after that he doesn't reboot (all of that after a coold boot)

0 Likes
Smeezor
Journeyman III

Hey all! An update for you:

So I followed my gut feeling and upgraded my PSU to a Corsair 1000w and it now works, stable and fast.

skoszegi4
Journeyman III

Max Power limit to low?

0 Likes

3 days of testing , everything is ok. Doesn't restart and doesn't black screen. 3-5 hours gaming becam stable. Amd software: adrenalin performance, tuning... max frequency setting 95%, and power limit +15%. And AMD smart access memory disabled. good playing everyone.

Config: 

Msi b450 A Pro Max 

Ryzen 9 5900x

32Gb G.skill 3000mhz Ram

Shipphire pulse 7800xt

Psu :Chieftec 700watt  80+gold

0 Likes