cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Ray4
Journeyman III

RX 7800 XT Constant Driver Issues

A few months ago, I switched from Nvidia to AMD, under the impression that their drivers had improved and weren't the mess they used to be. But, man, ever since I got this GPU, I've been plagued with constant driver issues. Here are just a few examples:

• HDR doesn't work or isn't detected by Windows.
  • Monitors aren't recognized at startup, and I have to unplug and reconnect them every time I turn on my PC.
  • Some programs are incompatible with certain driver versions, refusing to run because they don't detect a dedicated GPU.
  • Numerous games can't run in fullscreen mode, or are stuck at 240p resolution with a 54Hz refresh rate.
  • Some games can go fullscreen, but then you can't alt-tab out of them.
  • Constant stuttering and freezing in certain games and programs.
  • Blue screen of death (BSOD) when rendering AV1.
  • Signing out of Windows leads to a black screen.

And I could probably list more.

What makes it worse is that driver updates that supposedly fix these issues sometimes do help, but then reintroduce old problems. It's frustrating. Why do I have to hunt for a driver version that's over a year old, just to maybe get things working? And all the support threads, whether on Reddit or forums, just say the same thing: "Use DDU and install older drivers..." I’m exhausted and at my wit's end with this.

0 Replies