cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Willdang33
Journeyman III

RX 6900 XT - MACBOOK PRO 16 Bootcamp, Can't work- No fixing for a year ? Enough to wait

Hi,

I'm in France and a big Fan of AMD product.  I just get a RX 6900 XT card and paid around 1200 Euro.

I would like to having this card to play ocasional (i work with a macbook pro 16). Unfortunatly, everytime when i plug in the Card by using Razer Core X Chroma, i get an Error 12 and the Bootcamp doesn't regconized the device. 

I follow many tutorial for a week but nothing work.... Every post and tutorial has been write for years ago. Sooo..... i'm really desperating to write this post and report this problem to AMD, and hoping they do something. Cause one of my friend just give me his RTX 3080, and it's work fanstastic.....

AMD if you want to earn more customers, you must first work hard about compatibility first. And i think, that, i'm not the first one to report this.....

0 Likes
6 Replies

I found this out about GPU Compatibility from Razor X website.

Seems like the RX6000 series GPU cards are not supported by the external GPU enclosure: https://mysupport.razer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1727/kw/razor%20x%20chroma%20GPU%20compatibility

Screenshot 2021-02-26 095008.png

I believe the reason why is because Razor X doesn't supply enough power for the 6000 Series GPU cards.

The above list was updated on February 25,2021.

0 Likes

Hello, thanks for your answer.

It's false cause the RX 6900XT just really need 350 W to work, and some people just make it work by doing trick.

And i confirm this work with an Razer 15 2018 (My brother's laptop gamer)...

It's just a question about driver, that AMD can fixe it, but i don't know why they just ignore that ??

0 Likes

Not sure if you are aware of this Apple BOOTCAMP website but it is unofficial but the developer takes the latest AMD Driver and modifies it to work in Bootcamp OS: https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/

The latest AMD Driver at this website supports the 6000 series GPU cards.

EDIT: Found Razer Support concerning your Razer-X compatible GPU cards. It is almost the same as the previous list I posted except it is now showing the Nvidia RX3000 series as being compatible. It still lists only the AMD 5000 GPU cards as being compatible: https://mysupport.razer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2590

It is possible the list hasn't been updated yet since the 6000 Series GPUs are so new and are probably being tested by Razer for compatibility issues before being listed on their charts.

But this PC DIY website mentions that the Razer-X Chroma is compatible with at least the RX6800XT GPU cards: https://premiumbuilds.com/guides/best-egpus/

"As of right now, the number of professional benchmarkers or hardware testers looking into eGPU’s is limited, and the newest generation Ampere Nvidia GPUs and AMD Radeon RDNA2 GPUs continue to have major stock problems. The combination of these things means that pure eGPU comparisons for RTX 3080 (or 3090) or RX 6800/XT cards are limited, so much of the current analysis revolves around specification tracking and individual user opinions. Despite that, to accommodate the size/power draw of the RTX 3080 in particular, one eGPU has begun to rise to the top as the best option available. It shouldn’t come as a surprise considering how much we like its little brother, the Razer Core X. For an eGPU to use with the new RTX 3080 or AMD 6800/XT, we recommend the Razer Core X Chroma. This beefed-up eGPU enclosure from Razer not only adds a little RGB-goodness, gigabit ethernet support, and additional USB ports, but most importantly, gives that little extra PSU wattage to help even the newest, most powerful cards achieve top performance. While most examples of even the RTX 3080 wouldn’t exceed the power draw of the Razer Core X, the Chroma additional power and features are likely worth it to be sure you don’t risk peaking above the power draw maximum. There exists even one level higher within the Razer lineup, the Razer Core V2, but it isn’t easy to find in stock nowadays. Unless you are thinking of upgrading to a RTX 3090 later down the road, the $430 Razer Core X Chroma is a great product and our recommendation for an eGPU to pair with an RTX 3080 or AMD 6800/XT."

0 Likes

I just remember that a Asian engineer tech site report mentioned that even though the RX6800/6900 series GPU Cards may have a 300 watt power usage but the GPU card can generate power spikes above 500 watts during usage.

They opened a thread but, at the moment, I am unable to find it. It explains in detail how a 300 watt GPU card can have power spikes over 300 watts.

They were advising the GPU manufacturers to take this into account when recommending minimum PSU wattages for both Nvidia and AMD GPU cards.

That is probably why it explains that the RX6900 needs a minimum PSU wattage of 850 watts due to those power spikes that goes above the 300 watt limit.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have no idea how reputable that Asian report was or how accurate it is.

0 Likes

To whom it may concern,

Hi,

I just bought a RX6900XT card and run it with Sonnet breakaway 750 box egpu, it's working well in my MBP 16 (2019) in MacOS (latest).  However it's not working in my Windows 10 bootcamp.

I have all OS and drivers updated.

Try all kinds of alternative methods in the Internet but failed.

I see that AMD just recently updated the bootcamp drivers, but only upto RX5xxx series.

May I ask why the bootcamp driver would be ready to support RX6900XT?

Appreciate of your feedback and thank you.

Kam

0 Likes

@kshun 

This Windows Unofficial Boot-camp Driver website uses the latest version of AMD Driver that the Author has modified to work in a BootCamp environment and in eGPUs: https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/

The latest driver for downloading includes the 6000 series GPU cards. You can try and see if this modified latest AMD Driver will work in eGPU or Mac PC.

0 Likes