Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

dextor41
Journeyman III

RX 6800 XT - weird texture flicker on ocean surface in Dishonored 2

Hello.

I am having a graphical glitch in Dishonored 2 with my MSI Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming X Trio. Links to 2 videos I captured showing the problem: https://youtu.be/rhCidhwLjdg , https://youtu.be/ICdsvsN2JfA . Look at the surface of the ocean starting 10 seconds into the 1st video and you can see something flickering on there. I do realize that this is not a huge issue but still it distracts me when playing the game when I see it.

Upon closer inspection it appears that those tiny things are hexagonal "openings" on the surface of the ocean through which the ocean floor can be seen as if there was no water over it. This issue does not exist on computers with a GeForce GPU. Tested on my laptop with an i5-9300H and a GTX 1650, also don't remember seeing it when I played through the game on my previous PC that went through several different GeForce GPU upgrades (GTX 1080, 2080, 2080 Ti). I tried the following things to fix this:

• All available graphics quality presets in the game, from very low to ultra. Issue present on all of them. The lower the "water quality" is set to, the fewer but bigger those hexagonal spots are.
  • Enable/disable Vsync, lowering FPS limiter to 60, setting my monitor to 60Hz - no change
  • Installing the oldest Radeon driver I could find on amd.com that supports my GPU - 20.11.2 - no change (used DDU to clean current driver before installing the older one)
  • Uninstalling the game, deleting the folder with game settings and AMD shader cache, re-installing the game onto a different drive - no change
  • Raising a support ticket with Bethesda. We went through most of the above troubleshooting with them after which they advised they cannot help fixing this and will pass this issue along for further review noting it might be an issue with AMD drivers and DX11
  • Downclocking my GPU to the lowest possible clock in the AMD drivers - 700 MHz - issue still present
  • Testing on a friend's PC that has a Radeon RX 6800 in it - issue present on his PC as well
  • Testing on another friend's PC who's got an RX 6900 XT - issue present on his PC as well
  • Updating GPU driver. Went through most Radeon software versions from 21.5.2 to 21.11.3 - did not fix the issue

I could not find any mention of this issue when googling it (except for my own posts on reddit and techpowerup forums), so maybe people don't care about such a small thing, maybe it only exists on the RX 6000 series and people with these don't play Dishonored 2 much.

Anyone got an idea what the cause of this thing might be? What else I can try to get rid of it?

I did report this to AMD via the bug report tool in the Radeon Software several times.

0 Likes
0 Replies