cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

hotsun
Journeyman III

RX 6800 XT poor fps in Unreal engine

Today we bought a new RX 6800 XT to replace our light artist's RTX 2080 so he can work on the project with higher frame rate.
But the problem is that the FPS is so bad and it crashes a lot.

We tested on other systems with different specs and tested again.

- In comparison with a 2080 ti the fps of 6800 XT was lower than half in a raster project and 30 percent lower in Ray Traced one.

- In comparison with a 1080 ti the fps was a little lower.

In game benchmarks the RX 6800 XT is a monster and so much better than any of our cards but it is not important for us as we are working on projects in Unreal Engine.

2 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

We need full specs to evaluate. That said, the RX 6800 XT is a true gaming GPU not intended for graphics design or making video games and not the best choice for an Unreal project that is CPU bound more than anything. For best results, specs unknown, you'd want to pair that card to something like an X570 board with a 5900X or 5950X CPU to take full advantage of the card. Raytracing depends on the game or your project and Nvidia started that, while AMD is just getting into it.

Rasterization being low is another CPU binding indicator of working or playing with the Unreal engine. AMD makes other cards that are geared towards game development as does Nvidia and those are very expensive and do not game well because they're designed to build the game itself and do much more complex calculations.

It does seem like you might be using an Intel CPU or a lesser than 5000 series AMD CPU and that's just asking for problems. I'm kind of shocked that you're asking this question that you should know the answer to already with a bit of research for the parts required to do this project. I'm not going to come out and say Nvidia is straight up better at Raytracing in this forum, nor could I given no other spec but the card is listed. This has the smell of a "trolling" post looking to put AMD down without evidence. Like I said it's a "captain obvious" one doesn't use the RX 6800 XT to design games but to play them.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

Thank you for your answer.

I am working in the game and animation industry for over 15 years and I know what kind of hardware is needed for these kind of programs.

Working with Unreal Engine is not so different from playing a game made by Unreal Engine.

In most cases we have to use gaming hardware so that we can check the fps while making it in order to optimize the levels.

In theory a 6800 XT must run the levels so much better than a RTX 2080 ,as it is running games better, even if it is the same PC.

After searching about this problem I found out that there are some other AMD users having problems with some games made by Unreal.

I think maybe it is something driver related as the GPU itself is so powerful.

I'm not trolling and I just want the problem to be solved.

BTW, the looks of the card is so good.

AMD Radeon 6800XT.jpg

0 Likes