Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

chrislm
Journeyman III

RX 6800 fps issue at game startup

Hi everybody,

First time posting here. I'm witnessing a weird behavior with my RX 6800 (Gigabyte Gaming OC). I'm having low framerates when I launch any game (tested on Overwatch, Apex Legends, Paladins) for a shot period of time (1 min to 2-3 min) before everything goes back to normal. Typically, in Overwatch, the card can run the game at 300 fps with no issue, but when I first launch the game, I would get around 200 fps or lower with a very stuttery experience. Here's a short video that shows what happens :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MGDcvFlJXA

The GPU load is low during the first minutes, but no sign of CPU bottleneck, and at the 1 min mark, GPU load gets up to 80% with a stable 300 fps. It would really be annoying if it was only at the startup, but sometimes it Alt+tab between programs while in game and the framerate drops again. 

I have a Ryzen 7 3700X running with 16 Go of 3200 Mhz of RAM, the games' installed on an NVMe drive. SAM is enabled in the BIOS (same problem with SAM disabled), I have 2 vBIOS on this card (silent and OC) and both present the same behavior. Card driver is 22.3.2 and the problem was the same with the previous driver. Card is running at stock clocks. OS is W11.

I tried running some benchmarks with OCCT and the card instantly gets to 100% load. This issue seems to only appear in games. The temps look okay too, I have a well ventilated case and the issue is still the same with a more agressive fan curve.

For info I had an RTX 2070 before and this wasn't an issue. I upgrade my PSU to 750W 80+ gold because I thought that could be power throttling at first, but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.

Anybody had this issue before ? 

Thanks for your help

2 Replies
NinHydrin
Adept I

I have had the exact issue. Can't remember when it first started but it was definitely after Overwatch 2 release. I get stuttering for the first 1-2 mins in every high fps game.

Currently running a ryzen 5 3600 with msi mech 2x oc 6700xt and two 8gb sticks of patriot viper ddr4 ram. I thought my system was underpowered but my 650w psu seems to be enough. Everything is on default settings.

Have you found a solution? I'm thinking of upgrading my cpu to a 5800x3d to see is 3d cache helps

0 Likes

did u find why this happens? its happening to me with my new 6800xt, 750w power supply, ddr4 3600, i5 9400f, i know i need to upgrade my cpu.

0 Likes