Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

HeronScremin
Journeyman III

RX 6600 DWM 100% GPU

Hello,

I had an RX 6400 that didn't have any problems.

I upgraded to RX 6600 and am experiencing 100% GPU usage on desktop.
The PC keeps running at 100% GPU until I open the task manager. When I open it, the desktop normalizes.

From what I could identify the file that causes this 100% consumption is the DWM file - Desktop Window Manager.

I already did a clean reinstallation of the drivers with DDU and I had the same result.

As I was on Wind 10, I upgraded to 11 and the problem persists.

Is there any other known solution to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot

3 Replies
MaistroMelon
Journeyman III

Hello HeronScremin I am also having this problem, had it for the last couple of months 

I have a 6950 xt and for me this happens seemingly at random. I checked with msi afterburner and would see massive gpu core clock spikes. My pc starts lagging and audio becomes distorted, making it basically unusable until I restart. Which fixes it until it happens again. This can happen when doing anything, from gaming to just ordering files on my pc.

I have tried a bunch stuff already (none of which worked): 

• Going into bios settings and turning of SAM support and AMP support
  • Going into windows settings and turning off every "effect" to have more "performance"
  • Reinstalling windows completely
  • Reinstalling drivers from fresh (Using a driver uninstaller in windows safe mode)
  • Going into windows display options -> GPU options and turning it all off
  • Going into the registry to make sure the settings were disabled
  • Use a different non chromium browser
  • Scan my pc for malware (with malwarebytes and windows defender seperate, nothing was found)
  • Using windows update drivers for my gpu instead of AMD given ones
  • Going into services and turning off every single non windows service
  • Turning off every program that I had running 
  • Checking my Event log on DWM (doesn't give anything info)
  • Making the taskbar non transparent of windows 
  • Using windows terminal commands like SFC, and the like to see if there are any errors found (there were none found and did this multiple times)
  • Signing up to the windows insider program thinking it might be fixed in a newer version (it was not)

The one thing that did work for me is uninstalling windows completely and installing a linux distro instead.
Which for me personally isn't really a fix. I use many windows only programs so I cannot really make a jump to linux unless I would use a VM lose performance and where this issue just might happen again.

I recently discovered a way to restart the gpu driver with "win + ctrl + shift + b" but have not yet gotten the chance to test if this actually does something. I also see this more as a bandaid instead of a proper fix since this just shouldn't be happening in the first place

So this is either a random software issue (which I highly doubt), or a Windows11/AMD issue that has not yet been found/fixed.

TL;DR: nothing worked, didn't find a fix unless you count using linux. 

In general I think this is something Microsoft/AMD has to fix. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help, unless you want to switch to linux. 

Hello, I finally found a solution to continue with windows and without this annoying problem.

What I did was:
- Full WIPE
- I reinstalled windows
- I didn't download the driver, but the video card recognition program - Auto-Detect and Install.
- When deciding which application to use, I did not install adrenaline. First I installed the driver which is not marked as recommended, it has a blue AMD symbol (it is marked as pro edition) but it is much older than the adrenaline edition.
- I had no gpu usage issues on the desktop.

Unfortunately, a game that I wanted to play did not run, reporting that the video card did not have the necessary drivers and that I should update the video driver (COD MW).

I updated the driver (without uninstalling the old one).
I installed the Adrenaline Edition over the top.

Now it's 100% without any crashes on the desktop!

I installed the pro drivers instead of the normal ones but had the same issue occur.

However I think I did find a solution. When the issue occurs you have to fix it by restarting the pc. But I always disabled fast bootup which basically made every time you boot ur pc a fresh restart. By disabling it the pc doesn't really "reboot" on startup. So leaving this option enabled when the issue is not occuring seems to have fixed it for me.

tl;dr: reboot when it happens (from reboot when needed, ...), leave fast bootup turned on

0 Likes