cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

[RX 6600] Can't stop games from stuttering, dropping frames

Did a minor upgrade to an RX 6600 from a GTX 1070.

Playing Apex Legends and Valorant, games stutter. Every copy seconds it loses frames.

Some say "It's building the shader cache." Maybe. It does start off really bad, every match... But then it never goes away completely.

Framerate is high. Temperatures are normal (60°C). Usage is under control, no bottleneck. Some games run normal, but it seems the multiplayer games I need to run smoothly, stutter the most.

Valorant is the easiest to test with because they have a feature stat graph called "CPU Wait GPU Time" ...The it seems to be on the GPU. The CPU is waiting on the GPU to provide the next frames. Example = https://i.imgur.com/1pZOim1.jpg (This was a single opponent engagement. Stutter stutter stutter. You can't play Valorant like that.)

I think I've tried everything I've read online. Nothing has had any impact.

• Ran DDU and reinstalled the latest Catalyst Software.

• Tried different settings, but most were left stock. Mostly all disabled.

• Ran DDU and reinstalled the drivers only.

• Reinstalled Windows 10. (+Repair Windows SFC/DISM)

• Unplugged all USBs expect M+KB. Disabled all startup software.

• Everything in this PC is running cool. Maybe 60°C max for both CPU and GPU.

• Regedit to turn Shader Cache = On.

• OC 7700K to 4.8Ghz. (5.0Ghz was requiring to much voltage compared to 4.8, so I'd rather not)

• Disabling DXNavi

• Different drivers. Latest drivers, February, November...

No change, after no change.

Really, the only thing I can still think of it upgrade my RAM to something faster. 3600 Mhz. But I've read plenty of people with faster RAM also get stutters. So I don't think that's it. I believe it's software related, because some demanding games work smoothly.

• MSI Z270 Gaming M3 Motherboard

• Intel i7 7700K - No OC

• 16GB Gskill RAM 2666 mhz - XMP On

• XFX RX 6600

• 2TB SSD - M.2 Gen3 x4 PCIe

• 750w PSU (Something decent, I don't remember which)

• 144 hz Dell monitor w/Freesync

0 Likes
1 Reply
rockharddaddy
Journeyman III

I had bad stutters on Apex too. But what i did to get rid of the stutters was slowing down my gpu by putting some graphic settings on High. I also have the same gpu as you, but with a weaker cpu. Hope this helps!

0 Likes