Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ephidrineon
Journeyman III

RX 590 crashes and freezes

Hi everyone.

I have been reading a lot about crashes and issues with the RX 590, however I thought I might give it a try to post here.

I picked up an XFX RX 590 8G Fatboy last year because I'm only gaming in 1080p and not the most demanding of games. At first it was great, however after about two weeks I noticed the GPU shutting off and crashing at random intervals. The first thing I did was replace my PSU since I knew it was a little on the weak side, along with a CPU upgrade on the horizon.

It became a lot better with random crashes getting fewer. The issues I had persisted, though. Sometimes, the screen turns black and the PC keeps running. Sometimes the screen turns black with the computer turning off after 20 or so seconds. Sometimes the screen just freezes.

While gaming, sometimes my second screen blanks and turns back on a couple of seconds later. Today I've had two driver timeouts while just browsing a game's menu (ETS2).

Troubleshooting steps I've tried:
- Reinstall latest drivers with "factory reset" turned on (previous GPU was an AMD aswell so no DDU)
- Reinstall Windows
- Undervolt the card
- Set a custom fan curve so they ramp up quicker and keep the card cooler
- Switch the BIOS switch to the position where the fans keep running for longer
- Replace GPU thermal paste

After the thermal paste replacement the crashes got even fewer (from 3x+ a day to once every week or so), and the other optimizations helped aswell, but I'm still having problems. Running hashcat makes the card crash no matter what. I don't want to lower the maximum frequency, and to be honest the card should run perfectly fine with the stock settings or ever messing with it. I'm really close to RMAing this thing and getting some other card (maybe even from that other company after being with AMD CPU + GPU for over 15 years)

My hardware configuration:
Board: ASRock AB350 Fatal1ty Gaming K4 (latest BIOS recommended for my CPU)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (OC'd to 4.1 GHz, tests fine in OCCT, Cinebench and Prime95)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120
GPU: XFX RX590 Fatboy 8G
RAM: 32GB HyperX Predator
System drive: Sabrent Rocket 256GB NVMe
PSU: Silverstone Strider 650W modular

Thanks in advance!

0 Replies