cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

sflguyx
Adept I

RX 580 and refresh rate - Black Screen and Flickering?

Hi all, 

I've been researching and all kind of things. I currently have the 580, 8gigs Vram, I7 and 16 gigs of ram. 

Over the holidays I upgraded my old monitor to an Asus TUF curved 31.5" monitor. This monitor:

31.5" Wqhd (2560 x 1440) 1800R curved monitor with 144Hz and adaptive Sync/free Sync for immersive, smooth gaming with DisplayPort and HDMI connectivity

This is a step up in resolution and Hz over my older monitor. 

Since plugging it in, every time I try to play any type of game with my Hz set anything above 60hz, after about 10 minutes either my screen starts to randomly flicker black off and on (hdmi) or completely turn off (display port). 

As you can see above, I've tried different cords. I've also tried rollbacks on drivers, completely cleaning any AMD drivers and reinstalling. Everything. It doesn't matter what version of driver I have or what. I've tried different Radeon settings (no freesync, playing  etc). 

The only way I can play stable without losing monitor signal loss is if I keep it at 60hz. At this hz it never goes black. 

Curious if anyone else has had this issue and if so, what did they do to correct it? I did try to find something online but haven't really so figured i'd ask here first.  Love to be able to play at a higher refresh rate. 

Appreciate any insight!

7 Replies
amdman
Challenger

Check the temperatures on the RX 580 when running a demanding game. What Power Supply Unit are you using, is it ample power for the system? I am not too familiar with high refresh but it seems like a thermal or power issue with what you are experiencing. Try running a benchmark and see what the whole system is doing with temperatures and power with the Hardware Info 64 program.

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

I had the same problem a couple of years ago.. It was the cable not up to the job..

Look up the monitor on Asus website, I think they supply monitor drivers too.

Make sure in monitor settings it's set to Display Port 1.4 or 1.2 depending on the monitor, also use the cable that came with the monitor..

I have the RX 580 and just got a new monitor LG UltraGear 32GP83B-B 2560 x 1440 @165hz and it runs perfectly with supplied cable..

I have freesync turned on, on the monitor and AMD software..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

I appreciate the feedback so far. 

I'm using a 750W power supply. Prior to just changing to a better monitor, I never had the issue no matter the game. 

I did turn on the Radeon Overlay prior to my posting to check just that. While I didn't check the Voltage I did see the Temp was staying pretty decent between 70 - 80c dependent on the game. It rarely hit 80. From what I've seen my range is normal/standard.

The cord(s) I am using is supplied by ASUS, came with the monitor, and I tried all those different drivers etc. 

Yesterday I kept the refresh rate at 60 and played every game and benchmark and had no issue which makes me think it does have something to do with voltage and Power Supply. I did play around with tuning the voltage based on some other people and when I went over 60 it eventually started glitching again. Maybe there is a sweet spot but I feel I shouldn't have to mess with power. 

I also think it is weird that with an HDMI cable it just flickers black and back. But when I use Display it just straight up turns off (sometimes comes back and sometimes I have to pull plug and put it back in for monitor to come back)

I could just leave it at 60 but would be nice to get what I paid for

0 Likes

I agree with Vialli100, try using the monitor drivers, please post your results if it fixes it so others can fix the problem if they have it.

The problem points to when you run the card with a higher Hz, it is working the card harder, as makes sense. To make sure the card isn't shutting down due to thermals, you could set an aggressive fan curve and see if you get the blackscreen, that would point to a thermal problem even though it is between 70-80 most of the time, it might spike above the thermal limit and you don't see it before the card shuts down.

Sooo....

I don't know which one did it but I did what Vialli suggested and went to Asus's website and installed my drivers for this exact monitor. I was connected by hdmi and i flipped it back to 144hz. 

Using 3dMark I ran a benchmark and during that whole time my gpu voltage never went above 150w and my heat around 75. Feeling OK i decided to play a game and about 5 minutes in I got the normal popin noise/screen flicker. Once that starts it happens constant. 

Feeling bummed I decided to go back to display port. I plugged that in popped it back to 144 again. About 5 minutes in my screen did what it was doing and decided to turn off "no signal". Feeling further dejected I looked on the back on my card and saw 3 Display ports. I currently had it in the middle of the three. 

As a last resort, I popped it into the first one and ran a benchmark. Magically it didn't turn off. To be sure, I shut down and restarted. Ran benchmark again and again didn't turn off. Jumped into my games that would always flicker at 144 on hdmi...no issue at all. 

I'm dumbfounded if the whole time the Display Port I was plugged into was just crappy and it needed to be the first. But all I can say is it was that and 'maybe' the Asus monitor driver seems to have helped and i'm so far never been happier. So smooth. 

Still doesn't explain the HDMI flicker/pop but playing with Display Port at 144 is so smooth. 

0 Likes

I use Display Port as I find it better than HDMI and also have the cable in the first DP socket..

When I had my iiyama monitor, it would not work correctly until the driver was installed..

So glad you got it working happy gaming..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

Add this DP problem to the "must be plugged into the right place even though in the past it didn't matter" list like the power supplies and the 6600s, time will tell, soon to maybe be a problem with the 6500s. With those GPUs you have on certain power supplies not only be careful about the rails, but plug in specific cables from the power supply, not so easy to know when usually you used to only choose one of each cord, now it can even need to be specific (8 or 6 pin) cords.

0 Likes