cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rogueleader
Adept I

RX 5700XT Temperatures and throttle points, is this for real?

This is my new build for my Simulator system:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TsmmDx 

Everything tests out correctly, the system shows no signs of throttling or anything like that.  

BUT

Last night I was playing Assetto Corsa Competizione, I had AMD Link running in the background as well as HWInfo64 Sensors.  After playing HWInfo told me the hotspot temp was 110C, and the GPU temp had maxed out at 94C!  I opened the top of my case which now keeps it at 91C with the hotspot the same.

I have read articles saying 110C for hotspot is correct.  I even saw it hit 111 running Superposition.  Again the system doesn't seem to throttle AT ALL.  Heres my 3dMark for reference:

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X,Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. ... 

So are these temps right?  Is this normal?  Am I going to melt this thing?  What temp does it throttle at (would it be if the GPU temp reached near 110?) . ?????

0 Likes
1 Reply

Just found this Tom's Hardware article that AMD says the Maximum Operating Temperature of the RX 5700 is 110C: AMD Explains Why 110-Degree Operating Temps Are 'in Spec' for RX 5700 | Tom's Hardware 

Excerpts from above link:

AMD said that it previously relied on "a single sensor that was placed in the vicinity of the legacy thermal diode" to measure a GPU's core temperature. That changed with the release of the AMD Radeon VII in February. The graphics card has "enhanced thermal monitoring," according to AMD, and laid the foundation for the RX 5700's "extensive network of thermal sensors distributed across the entire GPU die." Where once there was one sensor, now there are many.

AMD explained:

"Instead of setting a conservative, ‘worst case’ throttling temperature for the entire die, the Radeon RX 5700 series GPUs will continue to opportunistically and aggressively ramp clocks until any one of the many available sensors hits the ‘hotspot’ or ‘Junction’ temperature of 110 degrees Celsius. Operating at up to 110C Junction Temperature during typical gaming usage is expected and within spec. This enables the Radeon RX 5700 series GPUs to offer much higher performance and clocks out of the box, while maintaining acoustic and reliability targets."

0 Likes