cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Miximan
Journeyman III

RX 5500M 4GB Code 43 in Device Manager

Hi! To start off, I am not 100% sure when my problem began. A few days ago my laptop made a Windows update by itself. After the update, I got an error from the AMD software telling me something about an error. I ignored it because it happens pretty much everytime I get a windows update, usually I reinstall the drivers and everything is fine. Not this time tho. I did not launch any games these past days as I was pretty busy. The thing is, about 3-4 days ago when I tried playing Scrap Mechanic I was getting pretty low framerate, but I ignored it and I will tell you a bit later why. I ignored my framerate until I got to minecraft where I was getting a very very low framerate and decided to hit F3 to see if it was using my dedicated GPU and it was not. My dedicated GPU is not showing up in task manager and in device manager is has error code 43. I talked to microsoft support for 2 days, they couldn't do anything even tho they used quick assist to make things on my laptop for around 6-7 hours over 2 days.. Anyway, a bit earlier I said that I ignored the framerate on Scrap Mechanic, this is where I have to mention that I did not change my thermal paste in almost a year, so I thought that my components were getting temperature bottlenecked, it wasn't until I opened Minecraft that I knew it was a GPU problem. I have to mention that I have got thermal paste in the meantime and a ram stick but I want to wait until I solve this GPU problem so that I can be sure I didn't mess some hardware up. I have now talked to AMD and sent them some file reports so they can see what is wrong.

TL;DR Dedicated GPU is suddenly not usable anymore, it gives error code 43 in device manager, microsoft couldn't resolve it, my thermal paste hasn't been changed in a year.

If the problem turns out not to be software, but hardware, I have to guess that my GPU fried up from not changing thermal paste (but I hope not and I am not quite sure if that is possible), or that when I start my laptop it quickly gets to it's shutdown temp and automatically stops itself, but I don't know how to test if that's the case.

I do also have to mention that I am now on a fresh windows install.

For any other information needed, my notebook is MSI Bravo 15 A4DDR.

Things I have tried:
- Drivers reinstall, from amd site, from manufacturer site, the initial drivers I got when I bought the laptop and previous versions of drivers from when my GPU was working, have to mention that I used amd cleanup tool for the changes;
- Searching and repairing corrupt files using a cmd command (I don't remember what it's called);
- DDU;
- Uninstalling the gpu from device manager;
- Tried to install the stock VBIOS to the GPU but it turned out I already had that one and I can't find any newer one;
- Windows Reinstall
- The microsoft agents from support tried a lot more things but I can't remember them and also don't quite know a lot of the things that they have tried as I am not very familiar with the methods.

0 Likes
0 Replies