cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

alecto
Adept I

RT 6650 XT - sleep issue 23.2.1 (WHQL)

Latest driver Adrenalin 23.2.1 (WHQL) for RT 6650 XT has the same issue as drivers prior to Adrenalin 22.11.2 (WHQL). Once Windows enters deep sleep, the GPU doesn't wake up. Computer freezes.
Note: Adrenalin 22.11.2 (WHQL) is working, however sometimes the screens go dark (disconnected) for a few seconds. Btw, clean Windows 11 install, 3 27" LCD.

80 Replies

I have a brand new system Ryzen 9 7900 with and just picked up the RX 6650 XT. I was having all these same issues. If you use just the actual driver that Windows uses, everything works fine. It's the Adrenalin software that is messing with windows screen/sleep as well as I found it messes with Davinci Resolve that I use to encode videos. Once I got rid of adrenaline, but used the driver it left behind, all seems to be fine. I wish AMD would provide a 'driver only' package and not force the adrenaline on us.

You can choose to install driver only in the adrenalin package, or minimum or full install.

Ryzen 5900X PBO/OC, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite F37 bios, Arctic Freezer II 420 AIO, Fans: 3x140mm 2x120mm, 24 GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 18-20-20-40 1T, CM MWE V2 1050w, Gigabyte G32QC A 1440p, PowerColor RedDevil RX 6950XT OC.

Removing Adrenalin and testing with a driver only was something I wanted to try too. I might do that tonight. I already have a 4070Ti installed and like I said it feels smoother and more reliable overall, but if the 7900 XT can run without those annoying sleep issues, and less microstutters, I'd prefer to keep it. A bit higher power draw is something I can live with, the biggest thing for me is the fact that with 7900XT, even when it showed high FPS numbers, I still had a lot of stutter in some games, like the last of us, unless I capped FPS at 60, and that was very annoying. I don't have this issue with Nvidia right now. The only problem I have with that at this point, is that if I decide to return it, tomorrow is my last day to do so, and the sleep issue is not something that happens all the time. When I first got it, it worked fine for the first 3 days until it happpend again. Risky. 

so, what happen?

Tried to install "drivers only" - the issue was still there v23.5.1. Now rather using drivers from Windows. They work properly.

Good "job" AMD, good "job".

peter1234
Adept I

I'm having the same problem with my new build with ASUS ROG motherboard, windows 11, and ASUS Strix 6650 XT all cleanly installed. 

I've tried adrenalin 23.2.1 and 23.4.3 same problem.  It works fine but when it enters deep sleep the computer freezes. Tries the AMD cleaner software and turning off updates no change. My 10yo graphics card has no problems.  I'm now having to reinstall the drivers almost every few hours... what a joke.

How can AMD be happy to supply customers with a product that you have to disable auto updates and power saving!!!

Extremely disappointed wish I'd read this before I spent £300, now wish I'd gone the NVIDIA route.

Qoojo
Miniboss

In the distant past, I remember facing a similar issue. These days I setup PCs to disable sleeping of various things to avoid this issue. Specifically,

• Disable ULPS
  • Disable USB selective suspend in power plan
  • Disable PCI express -> Link state power management in power plan
  • Device manager -> USB controllers -> go through all listed look for power management tab and disable "Allow ...turn off..."
  • Device manager -> Mice + Keyboards -> go through all listed look for power management tab and disable "Allow ...turn off...". Make sure allow wake is checked.

The general idea is to not sleep devices that can wake the PC up

arghl0599
Journeyman III

Same Problem here. Display remains black after wakeup from Monitor power off after 10min.
Integrated AMD graphis works ok.

- Windows 10 Pro
- Arenalin-edition-23.4.3
- Sapphire Pulse RX 6650 XT
- Gigabyte B650M DS3H
- AMD R5 7600

Uninstalling Adrenalin Software and using the Win10 driver solves the Problem.

@arghl0599 

I believe you can still get the latest driver if you want, just select "Driver Only" during installation to skip Adrenalin.

I tried the amd driver whql 22.7.1 (Install driver only)
It seems to work after the install, but today the problem apears again.
(No wakeup after srceen enter power save state)

I deinstalled the driver and use the windows driver (Date 23.6.2022) to get wakup working.

0 Likes
Trushna
Adept II

It was fixed on 22.5.2 and everything was perfectly working. I think unfortunately 66*0 series cards have some hardware issues that AMD has to address with workarounds. I think in 23's branch that patch was forgotten. Please AMD fix it again.

I just recently bought an Asrock 6650XT through Newegg. 

The system specs are as follows:

1. CPU - Ryzen 5, 5600 [6-core/12-threads] (AMD)

2. GPU - Radeon RDNA2, 6650XT [8GB/GDDR6] (Asrock)

3. Motherboard - B550M ITX WiFi (Asrock)

4. SSD - 4 TB M.2 NVMe 4.0 (Corsair)

5. RAM - 32 GB DDR4 4000 MHZ (G.Skill)

6. PSU - 550W Bronze Semi-Modular ATX (Thermaltake)

7. Case - The Tower 100 ITX (Thermaltake)

8. CPU Cooler - Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB (Thermalright)

9. Case Fans - 3x 120mm ARGB (Thermalright)

Everything was just peachy up until I noticed it would not wake up from sleep. I would manually have to hit the hard reset button on the case for it to return. When it returned I would try to open up Adrenaline or Pro AMD software and it would say that it is not compatible with the driver I have installed. It would seem that Windows was automatically installing a different driver in place of the AMD one I had manually installed. I even disabled the option for Windows to upgrade my drivers and it would still do it. 

I eventually stopped allowing it to go to sleep on its own which was not optimal. At first I set sleep to never but then rolled it back to three hours. I manually just shut down my computer now rather than let it sleep which is not my favorite option. I prefer to leave it in sleep mode. I do not have this issue with my 6950XT on my 3900X build. But for whatever reason whether I install Pro or Adrenaline drivers this happens on my current 5600/6650XT build. 

This is extremely frustrating as this wasn't even happening on the previous build I did with a 5600/6650XT but from PowerColor rather than Asrock. I am not sure if it is my Asrock card or whether it is this new driver as it could go both ways as I've never owned an Asrock GFX card.

What is your take on this?

0 Likes
david2212
Journeyman III

The latest driver Adrenalin 23.2.1 (WHQL) for RT 6650 XT continues to have the same issue as previous drivers before Adrenalin 22.11.2 (WHQL). When Windows enters deep sleep, the GPU fails to wake up, resulting in a computer freeze. Although Adrenalin 22.11.2 (WHQL) resolves this issue, there are occasional instances of the screens going dark (disconnected) for a few seconds. This feedback is based on a clean installation of Windows 11 with three 27" LCD monitors.

davidwarner
0 Likes
Raptorzback
Journeyman III

I don't know if this will work for you but it did for me. Maybe it's worth a shot. I have a RX6600XT.  I've been fighting this for months but the ULPS workaround worked for me and I've been living with that hoping AMD would come through and fix the problem.  Yeah, not gonna happen apparently.  So a friend of mine suggested that I try reinstalling my chip-set drivers (B550 for me) but don't install the ones from you motherboard manufacturer but rather directly from AMD.  Ive tried fresh installs of Win 10, Win 11 and 50 other things that didn't work and to my shocking surprise the chip-set drivers directly from AMD fixed everything for me.  I'm coming up on a month now and haven't had a re-occurrence yet and I'm currently running 23.5.1 without issues. The problem has been absolutely infuriating for me and I can only hope this works for you. If it doesn't, believe me, I fully understand your frustration. Best of luck!

Hello,

i have installed chipset drivers for b450 and unfortunately still same problem.

(AMD Chipset Drivers Revision Number 5.02.19.2221 File Size 54 MB Release Date 5/23/2023)

I tried that - unfortunately didn't help.

0 Likes
xdios
Adept I

Adrenalin 23.5.1 is still the same problem with sleep.
Is it really so difficult for AMD to fix this?
Since 2000, I used NVIDIA, and I decided to buy the first graphics card from AMD and regretted it.

peter1234
Adept I

Gave up trying to solve this issue.

Sent it back to the supplier who must had had a lot of returns as they didn’t really ask many questions.

bought an 3060 Ti instead, bit more expensive but runs better and no problems at all

was very disappointed, as for the price the graphics were good just spoilt by a stupid power saving / driver bug.

doubt I’ll risk buying AMD again as they’ve just seemed to ignore these issues and it’s wasted a lot of my time.

hidarin
Adept I

Other problems still remain, but this problem seems to have been improved in Adrenalin 23.5.2 (WHQL)

0 Likes

with SAM on? because i dont have the problem but at the moment i turn SAM off it comes back

0 Likes

Wow man! Turning SAM off seemed to work.

0 Likes

SAME PROBLEM HEREEEE...

(amd ryzen 7 5800HS with radeon graphics)

so sad...
HOW AMD STILL DOES NOT FIX this basic and important issue...

Im soOO disappointed....

varnav
Adept I

Possible fix: Disable Smart Access Memory in Adrenalin or disable Resizable BAR in BIOS.

thx for the answer.

but is "Smart Access Memory" enable in integrated graphics?

mine is integrated and I havent separate GPU ... I couldnt see this feature in my adrenalin to disable it

0 Likes
dm104
Adept I

Hello,

I have the same problem i tried every setting and combination in the bios, power plan also pro drivers and the problem is solved completley if u set sleep to never in the power plan.

AMD should work beather with Microsoft to resolve this isue!!!!!! I bought a fresh 6650XT 2 days ago and i almost wantet to return it and go with nvidia, AMD will u fix this????

Ryzen 3600

6650xt

16gb ram 2933mhz xmp

latest bios on b450 aorus elite gigabyte

bequiet 700W powersupply.....

My recommendation: Return this gpu. It doesn't look like AMD is ever going to fix this issue.

That's what I ended up doing. Returned this gpu and got an MSI NVIDIA RTX3060  Gaming X 12GB. So glad I did, never had a problem with NVIDIA software and still don't.

Trushna
Adept II

Unfortunately the bug it's still here on latest 23.7.2. This bug is not even in the known issues, don't know why.

Fistofk
Adept II

23.9.1 and the problem still there

Thanks for the update.

0 Likes
biltmore
Journeyman III

Still a problem...

Intel i7-13700 3.4 Ghz

Windows 11 64 bit

AMD Radeon 6650 XT

Driver Version 31.0.22011.1008

AMD_cire
Challenger

You can try install Driver-Only and set ULPS off. But you cannot overclock or something like it.

If you do full-install and set ULPS off, it still can wake, but it will pop out error driver time out and all your configuration revert back.

So, if want to always recent driver and no configuraiton you want to change, can try driver-only.

But now recent version 22.9.2 get issue for me, MPV player crash every 10 minutes playing video.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes

or just 22.11.2. Best stable driver for most 6000 series.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes
J1MB0
Adept I

I too have this very same issue. This is so frustrating, really, it just confirms all the bad AMD drivers/quality narrative around.

For what it's worth, my configuration: B450M-A-PRO-MAX + 5600G + 32GB at 3600Mhz + MSI GAMING X 6650XT
Drivers: Adrenalin 23.9.3

alecto
Adept I

The issue with the card has finally been resolved! I ended up selling it. Congrats to AMD for making a customer unhappy.

Okay, congratulations to your "fix" for the problem. But could you please not mark this thread as solved?

0 Likes

Given AMD's apparent lack of attention, I'm skeptical about a solution reaching the developers anytime soon. Anyways good luck finding the solution. I'm done with AMD.

I'm skeptical, too. I'm actually thinking about selling my AMD gpu and buying an NVIDIA one, too. But until then I'm still hoping for a fix...

0 Likes
Vini182
Adept II

AMD nevermore, the really solution is to sell and buy a nvidia, sad but true